Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Annotation/Text be placed on views or sheets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Annotation/Text be placed on views or sheets?

is it better to place text or annotation on the sheets? this way my view of the foor area is clear with just the model showing and its easy to make changes?

Heck no. It goes in the viewport. You cant tag things on a sheet, anyway. All smart annotations have to be in the view.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by wjnaim View Post
      is it better to place text or annotation on the sheets? this way my view of the foor area is clear with just the model showing and its easy to make changes?
      wjnaim, the Revittie technique you are looking for is the "working view". You can mess with it as needed for the task at hand; turn things off, change colors, whatever you need to do to work effectively on the model. And the "documents view" that is actually on the sheet never changes, so you don't have to worry about "fixing" it before you plot. Very common Revit use pattern. And totally contrary to AutoCAD use, where making another DWG is the very last thing you want to do, unless you really, really have to.

EDIT: FYI, terms like working view, sheeted view, documents view, etc are not part of Revit proper. Just commonly used in practice. The key (somewhat simplistically) is to just copy your plan view and rename. From there you can have different View Templates, techniques for sorting things in the Project Browser, etc. But if you search the help for "working view" I think you come up empty, even on the new wikihelp system. But maybe there is something there from the user side now, who knows?

Gordon
      Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Cool thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
          Heck no. It goes in the viewport. You cant tag things on a sheet, anyway. All smart annotations have to be in the view.
          I would not completely agree with this...I would consider a revision to be a smart annotation and there are MANY reasons to cloud and tag on the sheet rather than in the views. Other than that I would agree for the most part...if it is a note about the sheet I would place it on the sheet.

Comment

There might be a little semantic issue here. I can certainly agree that a note that is "about the sheet" rather than "about the view" belongs "on the sheet", but at the same time, I have never run into a situation where there really was just one lone note, it is always a group of notes, ala General Notes, which also often get reused. As such, they belong in a Legend and are then "in a view" anyway. I think Revisions are a different animal entirely (Sus Kludgus), and yeah, when you are clouding the title block, you have to put it "on the sheet", but beyond the single exception of revisions and clouds that cannot be "in the view" (revisions to schedules being another example) I think it is safe to say that no annotation goes "on the sheet", everything goes "in a view". It is a fundamentally different discussion from the question of "Does my text go in paper space or model space?". That question can only be answered one way; "Why the @%#$ are you still using AutoCAD?!" But I think the OP was asking the question from a position of AutoCAD familiarity, and the right Revit answer is "In the view, with revisions the caveat."

Gordon
            Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Gordon, PotM just for being really really thorough in your answer.
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Price View Post
                As such, they belong in a Legend and are then "in a view" anyway.
                Gordon
                On that note...my firm is completely getting rid of Legends...I personally think they are crap so here is our solution...Rather than using Legends use detail groups and here is why.

-Detail Groups can be brought from one project to another easier than Legends can be
                -Neither Legends or Groups can effectively be clouded inside the group/legend
                -Detail Groups can be copied/paste aligned same place from sheet to sheet providing consistency from sheet to sheet
                -Just like Legends you can edit them on the sheet, thus being better than an Annotation where users have to go into family editor to manipulate
                -The only thing that Legends can do that DG's can't is have a view title, but Legends don't have view numbers, so why have a view title with no numbers
                -We have a master plan legend that is composed of components from other legends one is placed at the beginning of the set, and the smaller ones are place on specific plans, a Legend does not allow you to update one and have it update the other. If the master "Legend" is comprised of the smaller DG's if you update it in one place it updates everywhere.

Comment

Interesting approach. And I gotta agree, Legends are a half baked full frustration tool, just like Revisions. I have abandoned them for making graphic legends, I use actual plans, RCPs and elevations. But for sheet notes I have continued using them. Will have to play with the Detail Group approach. Sure would be nice if Autodesk would spend just a little time thinking about this stuff, rather than giving us new, and still %@#$# half baked, tools. Parts, cough!

Gordon
                  Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Originally posted by gdoherty0102 View Post
                    I would not completely agree with this...I would consider a revision to be a smart annotation and there are MANY reasons to cloud and tag on the sheet rather than in the views. Other than that I would agree for the most part...if it is a note about the sheet I would place it on the sheet.
                    Sorry, i should have been clear. Since the OP mentioned text notes, i ASSumed we were talking about drawing notes. Revisions and Revision Clouds are al done on the sheet for us as well. But everything pertaining to the architecture itself (tags, notes, material callouts, arrows, leaders, slope markers, etc) are all done in the live view.
                    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment