Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tracing for those modeller who deleted other user views

Hi,

I have encountered this issue this morning.
    All of my views inserted on a sheet on a workset enabled file was gone.
    I never noticed only until other concern modeller informed me that my view was missing on the sheets.
    Is there a way to know or check whose modeller involved on the worset enabled file deleted my views?

I cannot roll back coz it two weeks from the last time still my view are intact.

Hope to find solutions.

Regards,
    KricyBoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revit doesn't cooperate with the FBI.

You can't find out about the 'who' unless he/she confesses.

If you go down the 'I've got my suspicions' route, then the team is wrecked and teamwork comes to a halt.

Learnt that a long time ago with Revit and working with teams. Trust and openness is all.

It's why police states have never worked in the long term in history.

Hope that bit of philosophy was useful.
    Last edited by kamranmirza; January 24, 2017, 12:24 PM.
    Kamran Mirza
    Chartered Architect RIBA, ARB, PCATP

Comment

First of all, are you sure the Views were actually DELETED?
      Or were they just removed from the Sheets?
      If they still exist in ght Project Browser, you might be best to just drag them back on the Sheets again and move on.

If they truly are gone, you might be able to track it down, but it's unlikely.
      First, try to narrow down when it happened. Look for prints of those Sheets & try to figure out the last time those Views were there.
      Then go in to the history (Manage Tab, Collaborate, Show History). That will show you who Synched with Central and when.
      If and when you've narrowed it down, you can dig around on people's hard drives and look at their Journal files
      Those can be found at
      C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2017\Journals
      There will be a lot of them, so you'll need to dig. Open each one and search for the name of one of the Views you're missing.
      See if you can find a line that says "Delete View"
      However, since you suspect this happened two weeks ago, it's quite possible that their Journals are gone. They typically only stick around for 10 days.
      Dave Plumb
      BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
        First of all, are you sure the Views were actually DELETED?
        Or were they just removed from the Sheets?
        If they still exist in ght Project Browser, you might be best to just drag them back on the Sheets again and move on.

If they truly are gone, you might be able to track it down, but it's unlikely.
        First, try to narrow down when it happened. Look for prints of those Sheets & try to figure out the last time those Views were there.
        Then go in to the history (Manage Tab, Collaborate, Show History). That will show you who Synched with Central and when.
        If and when you've narrowed it down, you can dig around on people's hard drives and look at their Journal files
        Those can be found at
        C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2017\Journals
        There will be a lot of them, so you'll need to dig. Open each one and search for the name of one of the Views you're missing.
        See if you can find a line that says "Delete View"
        However, since you suspect this happened two weeks ago, it's quite possible that their Journals are gone. They typically only stick around for 10 days.

It's totally deleted on the project browser..

I try tomorrow to dig up their journal if still can be found.I know the date when my views still around so i can filter which date i must start looking up into it.

Thanks for the response.

I'll post it here again once I found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The firm I work at uses this :
          https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Det...autostart=true

It's probably too late to figure it out for this specific instance. But it may be useful for you in the future.

Our firm finds it very useful. We've only installed it on my machine so that I can track and then have a one on one conversation with the person who made a mistake. We don't use it to chastise people, but more to educate and create awareness so that we can learn enough to avoid repeating the same mistakes.

Hope it helps.

Comment

This advice will not bring back your views, however, every week I 'Append Timestamp to Existing File Name' when creating a new local. I have used the time stamped models several times in the past few years to recover deleted items that seem to disappear with explanation. Hope this helps for future projects.
            Bettisworth North

Comment

Originally posted by cescobarjgra View Post
              The firm I work at uses this :
              https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Det...autostart=true

It's probably too late to figure it out for this specific instance. But it may be useful for you in the future.

Our firm finds it very useful. We've only installed it on my machine so that I can track and then have a one on one conversation with the person who made a mistake. We don't use it to chastise people, but more to educate and create awareness so that we can learn enough to avoid repeating the same mistakes.

Hope it helps.
              sadly the link is expired. cescobarjgra can you or anybody else please post anything else you re currently using ? We re in Revit 2020.2.5
              many thanks.

Comment

pyRevit has functions to show who last changed elements in a workshared model. But I don't believe it would work for deleted elements, since obviously the element doesn't exist anymore.

If this happened to me I might look back at shadow copies of the Central model (I'm the SysAdmin so maybe not possible for everyone) to see about when the views were deleted, and then look at a file's history to see who saved around that time.

But if you can get to Shadow Copies of the model, you might be able to copy/paste elements from a previous version with the views in question, into your current model.

Comment

What good is it going to do you? If you find out who done it are you going to fire them? Give them a good dressing down? Or just put them on your **** list? They either know they screwed up (and don't want to admit it cause... people) or they're not even aware they did it and are wondering who the bad-guy is as well. Either way, you have to recreate those views. Focus on that.
                  Greg McDowell Jr
                  about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment