Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

custom curtain wall

hi
    I want to create some kind of curtain wall with a stone panel that the structure is that the vertical mullion completes behind the horizontal mullion. the section below. is it possible done with curtain wall Revit or should be done with family. if the answer is family please give me some guide for that.
    Thanks
    Ehsan Anvari
    Attached Files

Originally posted by anvary View Post
    hi
    I want to create some kind of curtain wall with a stone panel that the structure is that the vertical mullion completes behind the horizontal mullion. the section below. is it possible done with curtain wall Revit or should be done with family. if the answer is family please give me some guide for that.
    Thanks
    Ehsan Anvari
    combination of both I would think. Use a curtain wall system for the stone panel portion with a custom curtain panel with perimeter parametric 1/2 joints built in. Just apply curtain wall grids where joints occur and the joints are created by the curtain panels. For the horizontal hanger system I'd use a work plane based generic model family. If you really need the hanger clips to be included I'd probably build them from a GM also depending on what the requirements for spacing are. Or, if they aren't "spaced" but each stone panel requires say two hangers they could probably just be built into the curtain panel family. That's the slow way to do it that will give you the LOD that your screen shot shows for section and plan cuts. Frankly, I'd just build the curtain wall system and handle the LOD with drafting views. You could do a building in a couple of hours that way.
    Last edited by Dave Jones; January 8, 2017, 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

You can also use two separate CW’s, but I also think it’s over-modeled. The mounting strips are not visible in elevations, so why bother? Plan and section views can be addressed with 2D detail elements depending on scale. Unless it's some sort of a school project.
      Attached Files

Comment

Agree with all of you! I have modeled a very detailed rain-screen cladding in the past with a combination of CW's: one for the horizontal framing and the panel, and another for the vertical framing. It looks great in a detailed 3D section view, but it is indeed over-modeling.

If you are adamant of doing it that way, make a duplicate CW family with a Empty panel system just to create the framing. Edit the mullions and change the profile to the one you want (you will have to create a new mullion profile). Setup the horizontal/vertical spacing for the frames. Create a new CW for the panel.

Good luck!

Comment

Have just one curtain wall but have 2 different mullion types- one type for horizontal and the other for vertical. Have each mullion type at a different offset (with reference to it's distance front to back) from the curtain wall centre line

Kind Regards,
          Ian

The Complete Beginner's Guide to Autodesk Revit:
          www.bimscape.com/revit

Comment

Originally posted by BIMscape View Post
            Have just one curtain wall but have 2 different mullion types- one type for horizontal and the other for vertical. Have each mullion type at a different offset (with reference to it's distance front to back) from the curtain wall centre line

Kind Regards,
            Ian

www.bimscape.com/revit
            how would the horizontal joints in the stone panel portion be handled then? While all of the suggestions in this thread are appropriate and doable I stand by my original idea of a single curtain wall system with a single curtain panel with built in parametric joints. No mullions of any sort required. I did this modeling yesterday. Started at 10am when I returned from the dentist and finished in time for the game kickoff at 5:20pm PST. Granted, all of the "math" was done in a couple of hours the day before. Predetermined base offsets and wall heights from the various levels. And the curtain panel family was existing. Includes a separate matching curtain system for soffits, model includes corners, beam penetrations, openings for windows and doors, etc. Another bit of info that is pertinent: I had no need on this project to provide any detailing. The model is solely for project clash detection with other trades. But if I needed 2D details I could do those in short order also. If anyone has an interest in the curtain panel family I'd be happy to dig it our and post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
              how would the horizontal joints in the stone panel portion be handled then? While all of the suggestions in this thread are appropriate and doable I stand by my original idea of a single curtain wall system with a single curtain panel with built in parametric joints. No mullions of any sort required. I did this modeling yesterday. Started at 10am when I returned from the dentist and finished in time for the game kickoff at 5:20pm PST. Granted, all of the "math" was done in a couple of hours the day before. Predetermined base offsets and wall heights from the various levels. And the curtain panel family was existing. Includes a separate matching curtain system for soffits, model includes corners, beam penetrations, openings for windows and doors, etc. Another bit of info that is pertinent: I had no need on this project to provide any detailing. The model is solely for project clash detection with other trades. But if I needed 2D details I could do those in short order also. If anyone has an interest in the curtain panel family I'd be happy to dig it our and post it.
              Fantastic work. I'd be very interested in taking a look at the panel family, if possible?

many thanks

Kind Regards,
              Ian

www.bimscape.com/revit

Comment

Originally posted by BIMscape View Post
                Fantastic work. I'd be very interested in taking a look at the panel family, if possible?

many thanks

Kind Regards,
                Ian

www.bimscape.com/revit
                thank you...I'm currently working in R2016 but I think that I have the same family created back in R2014 or R2015 and I'll dig that one out and post it so more people would be able to view it. Be back in a few...

edit: R2015 curtain panel family attached
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Dave Jones; January 10, 2017, 05:16 PM.

Comment