Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Project Monitor?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone is aware of a way to monitor active/open projects on a network. I'd like to use this to prioritize content updates within projects but I need to know what projects are actively being worked on.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Jj Mac; January 4, 2017, 03:22 PM.

If you sort your project directory by date is that enough info?
    Chris Ellersick

Comment

Hey Chris - it's the right idea, but not sure if I am getting the most accurate information that way. My explorer project folder dates don't seem to update the date even when a file within them is recently saved. Is there another category I can expose in explorer to see this? This question borders on the IT realm more than anything though and I was thinking there might be an addin or something - maybe as part of a BIM manager suite - but at this point I am at a loss.

Comment

Assuming you're on Windows servers, there's an "Open Files Agent" built in to Windows Server 2007 and newer versions.
        In Windows 2012 R2 it's under
        Administrative Tools
        Computer Management
        Shared Folders
        Open Files

It's probably WAY overkill for what you want, but I think you can sort by extension
        Dave Plumb
        BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

You want the RVT files, not the folders.

I agree, this is mainly a Windows search issue. In Win7 or higher, you can use the advanced search to specify a date range:
          Learn How to Use Windows 7’s Advanced Search Operators

Or it can be done with a cmd script:
          Search by date using command line - Stack Overflow
          Last edited by Dave Jones; January 4, 2017, 10:01 PM. Reason: duplicate post content
          Chris Ellersick

Comment

Originally posted by Jj Mac View Post
            Hey Chris - it's the right idea, but not sure if I am getting the most accurate information that way. My explorer project folder dates don't seem to update the date even when a file within them is recently saved. Is there another category I can expose in explorer to see this? This question borders on the IT realm more than anything though and I was thinking there might be an addin or something - maybe as part of a BIM manager suite - but at this point I am at a loss.
            You might be looking at the "Date" column. Use the "Date Modified" column instead
            Alex Page
            RevitWorks Ltd
            Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

Originally posted by cellersick View Post
              You want the RVT files, not the folders.

I agree, this is mainly a Windows search issue. In Win7 or higher, you can use the advanced search to specify a date range:
              Learn How to Use Windows 7’s Advanced Search Operators

Or it can be done with a cmd script:
              Search by date using command line - Stack Overflow
              Doing a simple search for RVT's seems to be the ticket - Thanks for all the help!
              Last edited by DaveP; January 5, 2017, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Only issue with this is that it's pretty slow and has to re-index when you sort etc... Any thoughts on how to get around that...

Also - BTW - Dave P - We're not running a windows server - but that did prompt me to look into a utility for our setup. I'll update this if i find anything. Thanks!
                Last edited by Dave Jones; January 5, 2017, 04:15 PM. Reason: deleted update dup

Comment