Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timber framing modelling without the plugin

Hi everyone

Timber framing construction is very common in New Zealand and many of the firms would like to have their construction documents done in Revit. Apart from the Timber framing plugin, what are the most convenient ways to model timber framing in Revit Architecture? Which families and family types should I create?

Thank you for your time all

I think you should be able to do most of the work just using basic framing families and reference planes. But it depends on how detailed you would like it. Are you doing actual "timberframing" with joints and wooden pegs and all?

Comment

I know you said "without the plugin", but Tools4Revit has an amazing plugin for timber framing that is worth considering.

Now, without any plugins, you can still use curtain walls and build the framing with mullions, change its material to timber, set the panels to "Empty". Then you add your wall finishes adjacent to your framing. There is a free plugin called Room finishes (https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Det...ng=en&os=Win64) which will quickly build wall finishes on all your rooms.

For roof framing, there is this nice tutorial (although in Portuguese) that will take you there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA1TQUZiBCk&t=997s

Hope this helps!

Comment

I think this is one of those areas that need "simple solutions" from autodesk. Simple framing extension. The t4r tool looks fantastic, but is certainly out of reach for me or my 40 students.
        Motorbike riding is one long bezier curve

Comment

You really should have the structural tools for the Beam Systems, but you can do it all with just the default beams and columns. Array the beams. Also learn about joining beams where they intersect. Get two beams to have their grips at the same spot and right click over the grip to see the join options. Also see the coping tool.

Comment

Thank you for ur reply. What exactly did you mean by basic framing families? Did you mean columns and beams? And about detailing, I am not going to model joints and pegs. (Although there's a powerful plugin for SketchUp which does that!) Thank you again.

Originally posted by asintoras View Post
            I know you said "without the plugin", but Tools4Revit has an amazing plugin for timber framing that is worth considering.

Now, without any plugins, you can still use curtain walls and build the framing with mullions, change its material to timber, set the panels to "Empty". Then you add your wall finishes adjacent to your framing. There is a free plugin called Room finishes (https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Det...ng=en&os=Win64) which will quickly build wall finishes on all your rooms.

For roof framing, there is this nice tutorial (although in Portuguese) that will take you there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA1TQUZiBCk&t=997s

Hope this helps!
            Thank you for your reply. First I thought that using mullions would be a good option but then I realised that it's not. For example when adding windows or doors. I liked the video and I will check the plugin as well. Thank you again.

Thank you for your reply. Is it common to use columns for vertical timber-framing and beams for horizontal ones? Array and simply Copy would work well I guess. And I tried creating a wall family with 3 layers (Exterior, Timber-Framing, Interior) so that the width of the timber-framing layer would match the width of bars and beams that I'm gonna use in the model. If so, how could I fill the space between vertical bars with insulation? Without adding the insulation layer, I cannot run exact thermal analysis...Thanks again.
            Last edited by Munkholm; December 1, 2016, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. First I thought that using mullions would be a good option but then I realised that it's not. For example when adding windows or doors. I liked the video and I will check the plugin as well. Thank you again.
              You can still add a wall that will only have the dimensions of your windows and doors. The idea is that these walls only serve the purpose of being a host. You can setup the wall's offset as well for windows, so they don't intersect with the framing contained in the "curtain wall".

Hope this makes sense.

Comment