Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats all the purposes of Reference planes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember the days of drawing a very faint line from one side of the sheet to another to make sure walls line up? Reference Planes are the electronic version of that.

Or is there a story here we don't know about and someone went reference plane crazy?
    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
      ....and someone went reference plane crazy?
      plenty of that where I work. Good thing I have a dynamo script to get rid of them
      Last edited by elton williams; November 25, 2016, 10:32 AM.
      There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

In families a number are used to control family parameters (dimensioning directly to elements is a recipe for families breaking). In models they are (ideally) used less frequently. They act as a non-printing line that shows in all intersecting perpendicular model views. I tend to use them for things like showing a major beam center line in views that I can't see the beam but need to be aware of its location, and to identify a uniform location (often the corner of a building) that I can use to snap views to guide grids on the sheets (reference planes work better than grids, since we don't show them in every plan view).
        Julie Kidder
        Architect + BIM Director
        Hartman + Majewski Design Group

Comment

Thanks for all the answers.
          A Reference planes drawed on plane aren't visible on sections right? thats too bad

Comment

Originally posted by danezeq View Post
            Thanks for all the answers.
            A Reference planes drawed on plane aren't visible on sections right? thats too bad
            If named and within view range the reference plane can be set and shown
            There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

But it shown only if its parallel to the section line?

Comment

In families they are very useful for tying down geometry and flexing its parameters, and in the project one could simply have them for "references only".

Comment

Originally posted by danezeq View Post
                  But it shown only if its parallel to the section line?
                  Reference planes don't need to be named to show up in sections.

Sections need to be perpendicular (not parallel) to the reference line in order to see them.
                  Last edited by cheinaranta; November 30, 2016, 07:25 PM.
                  Chris Heinaranta | Architectural Technologist

Comment

Reference plans are also used for aligning and dimensioning.

Comment