Sections - Repeating Gap Segment Distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sections - Repeating Gap Segment Distance

To create a gap segment in my sections, I click the break line of the sections and drag the section line to the side. Problem is I have a number of sections over many many floor, ceiling and roof plans. How does everyone deal with this? To date i have adjusted the length of lines manually and aligned by eye, surely there is a better method?? I already use scope boxes, but this doesn't help with segment gap distances being consistent across many plans.
    I found 3 forum posts and a blog with a comment asking this same question while researching a solution, and to my amusement, none of the posts or comment were ever responded too!!! I wander if this will get a response! :laugh:
    Attached Files

Wow....really?? Has this just become another post about this question to go unanswered?

Comment

Yes

I'm not aware of any way to make this view specific feature aware of the arrangement of the same thing in other views, other than manually adjusting (activating/deactivating) them through seeing them on a sheet view (eyeballing it).

Might be a little easier with some specific reference planes to use as guides for the adjustments?
      Last edited by Steve_Stafford; November 24, 2016, 08:48 PM. Reason: fixded spelting ehssue

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
        Yes
        haha. Thanks Steve. I guess I have always been surprised the line doesn't 'snap align' the same way the section heads do. I posted this question with all fingers and toes crossed hoping someone had some clever idea, not looking promising though! Yes, reference planes is what I was using, it will have to do.
        I did troll your blog hoping to find something in the 'Dept. of subtle'!
        Haven't run into this annoyance for a while, last place i worked we just had a continuous dotted line style going through the drawing.
        We just need to add an extension line value in the type properties so it does it automatically...problem solved...

Next stop, Revit Ideas Forum! I had two ideas marked as 'Under Review' this week, so I have been inspired to go back!
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice mock up...thought for a moment that I'd missed that setting.

Just in case you think the parameter Broken Section Display Style relates to what you're asking about. When we use the other option Continuous (versus the default Gapped) it allows us to differentiate between sections that have been broken (clicking the Gaps in Segment icon) because you don't want the section's line to extend all the way through a model (see image), but without actually breaking the section line.

The default setting (Object Styles > Annotation Objects > Section Line > Broken Section Line) in templates is assigned to the line style Dot. I changed that to Dash 1/16" in the attached image.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
            Just in case you think the parameter Broken Section Display Style relates to what you're asking about.
            Yes, no all good, I understand that part, I was just looking for a neat place to stick my new setting .
            I used the word "gapped", but it should probably say something like "Section Line Segment Extension".

Comment

Where and how did you add the 'Gapped Line Extension' Parameter?

Comment

Originally posted by sibooz View Post
                Where and how did you add the 'Gapped Line Extension' Parameter?
                Read Steve's reply
                (hint: damo's "screen shot" is a mock-up)
                Dave Plumb
                BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
                  Read Steve's reply
                  (hint: damo's "screen shot" is a mock-up)
                  Thanks

Comment