Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with binding linked file.

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with binding a linked file into our project.

I get the following message:

'' All instances of Linked Model 'project file name_rev.rvt' have been deleted, but the file itself is still loaded. Remove the Linked File using Manage Links dialog to save memory unless you are going to reuse it in this project. Removing the Link cannot be undone.''

Any thoughts please?

Cheers

Andy

That's not a problem. That's just a normal warning.
    What the message is telling you is that you had only one instance of that Link - which is normal.
    Once it's Binded (bound?) it becomes a part of your "parent" model, and you don't need the Link anymore.
    But it still shows up in the Manage Links dialog in case you need a second instance of it.
    It's perfectly safe to Remove the Link once your Bind is complete.

Not to hijack your thread, but you bring up something I've been meaning to post up here.
    I had trouble Binding a Link a while back and sent it off to Autodesk Support.
    Support's recommendation was to start a new model and Copy\Paste the old one into the new.
    The "final" answer they gave me was
    it's much easier to start with all the geometry in the old model and apply your standards to clean it up than it is to bring the links into a new model and try to "explode" it by binding the link.
    although, most of this conversation was over the phone when they told me Binding wasn't intended for entire buildings, it was only intended for small things like an Elevator.
    Well, if Binding a Link is not intended to Bind a model, what good it it?

They did admit that trying to do a Copy/Paste on Rooms might be problematic.
    It was at that point that I just gave up on the ticket.
    Dave Plumb
    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I've bound the link and now i cant see any of the elements in any of the views including the 3d view. I've checked VG, reveal hidden elements, worksets, filters....nothing.

Help!

Comment

Phasing is often an issue when Binding
        Dave Plumb
        BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
          Phasing is often an issue when Binding
          Howdoichecktoseeifthisisaphasingissue?

Comment

Originally posted by andyrh1982 View Post
            Howdoichecktoseeifthisisaphasingissue?
            What was the phase (& phase filter) of the view you were in when you bound the link? All components/entities that are visible in in a link when that link is bound will be brought in as if created in phase assigned to that view.

What is the phase of the views you are looking at and cannot see the bound model?

Comment