Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DWG is distorted when linked

Hi,

Hope someone knows a good practice to get link dwg into Revit. Some DWGs when linked turn up distorted in revit. I have tried exploding, purging and copy - pasting in new file, but nothing seems to work. I have attached a picture showing how the dwg looks when opened in autocad and one when imported to revit.

Thank you.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Anti View Post
    Some DWGs when linked turn up distorted in revit.
    Because despite both being Autodesk products, they don't actually like each other.

I have tried exploding
    You might want to recover a backup of your .rvt file taken before you did that and start over.

I have attached a picture showing how the dwg looks when opened in autocad and one when imported to revit.
    Check for warnings related to proxies and other object-enablers, (typically required with .dwgs created in Civil) and the extreme-extents of the .dwg (by investigating it, not it in Revit). Look also for (.dwg) elements with Z values, and poorly-built dynamic blocks - all of these things I have seen throw .dwgs into a garbled mess once inside Revit.

Good luck, report back, and welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

Comment

Perhaps it goes without saying, but I would also ensure the view you are looking at in AutoCAD is set to the World Coordinate System (WCS). When you link DWG's into Revit, that is what gets used. The view in Revit appears as though you are looking at the side of the DWG. What does the North or South elevation look like?

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I have noticed that the programs do not like each other; this distortion have also happened when exporting from revit to autocad and linking this dwg back into Revit.

Exploding was in Autocad, not Revit. But thank you for the advice.

I believe it is some blocks or objects that revit do not like. I do not know what program this drawing was created, only received the dwg. That is why I have exploded all that can be exploded and purge then purged the document and flattened it (nothing has a z-value). I am not the autocad expert so if you have some great commands to test out for this I would be happy to know.

Comment

All the same when linked to elevations, but thank you for the tip.

Comment

Check if your dwg is not far far away from 0. In case choose a nearby point to your project with a remarkable coordinate and brings everyone from this point to 0,0 in the dwg file.

Comment

That actually did the trick, thank you!

Comment

That actually did the trick, thank you!
                This is a major issue we need to be concerned with whenever we bring in DWG data such as surveys. Our surveys are 6000km from the Autocad origin point which is more than a little outside Revit's 20 mile limit. We always tidy up the files and move the data to an agreed point on the site somewhere before linking them into Revit. Autocad and others are happy to work with large distances from the origin, but Revit it not.

You will find many discussion on this topic such as Revit OpEd: Extents Greater than 20 Miles

Comment