Associate Concrete Beams & Floors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Associate Concrete Beams & Floors

It would be nice for a concrete beam to be able to know the type of floor (or thickness of slab) that it's embedded into. Does anyone have a good workaround for connecting this information? I need this info for cost estimating purposes.

Can you be more specific? A concrete beam is cut by the floor, so there is no overlapping geometry. This cut is for display as the original beam size is used for analysis. Is the issue that the floor now "owns" this quantity?
    Erik Snell, P.E.
    Factory Worker (Principal User Experience Designer)
    I am an Autodesk employee and the opinions or commentary I provide are my own and not necessarily that of Autodesk, Inc.

Comment

The issue is form contact area. To calculate this, I need the height of the beam minus the height of the floor *2 plus the width of the beam. The other thing I'd like to do is subtract the surface area of the beam from the contact area of the the underside of the floor.

Comment

The beam has a calculated volume based on its final condition. You could use that and the original dimensions and some creative math to determine the remaining height. You would have to go through a similar process for the floor area. Most likely this would be easiest via the API.

Erik
        Erik Snell, P.E.
        I am an Autodesk employee and the opinions or commentary I provide are my own and not necessarily that of Autodesk, Inc.

Comment

Erik, are these even accessible through the UI? Does the ootb Volume parameter for beams take volume loss due to joining (and cutting away part of the geometry) into account? The floor area is definately not (but you got me to doubt my sanity here, maybe material takeoffs do?)
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

There is no real unmodified volume. You would have to figure this out from the beam length and cross sectional dimensions. Then you could compare it to the volume parameter, which is the final volume of the beam. It would not be completely accurate, but for an engineering estimate it could work.

Other wise you can use the API to get both the unmodified cross section and the final cross section.

Erik
            Erik Snell, P.E.

Comment