• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Gordon Price
    Administrator

• Gordon Price
    replied
    Originally posted by Darken Rahl View Post
    I wonder if this is an example of the situation where the output is being dictated by the "We've always done it this way" mentality or being driven by the contractor / client / consultant (ie. "we don't want to have full sheets reissued").
    It is exactly that, but in the real world those things trump Autodesk's delusions about use case every time. I am sure Carl WANTS us to issue full sheet revisions and use DWF instead of PDF in all cases. And he probably also wants to kiss Salma Hayak. None of those things is going to happen any time soon. And the pace of Autodesk development suggests he might kiss Salma before we get viable CA processes native in Revit.

FWIW, I found that I prefer the image hack instead. I use the new feature that allows creation of an image of an entire sheet, and then I duplicate the view with the image and drop a masking region on it to trim it to the appropriate info, and use a dedicated title block from there. I find that conceptually it feels less like a kludge, I actually get a static snapshot in the model, for reference, and migrating old revisions to another model is easy. But given that images are actually fairly light weight, and you only have one per sheet with almost zero duplication and reuse overhead, it really isn't even necessary on (relatively) smaller projects I think. The workflow for getting level and grid heads in place is a little wonky, but ALL CA in Revit is some form of wonky kludge, even full sheet revision issuance, because the revision tool is such a steaming pile of dung. So, path of least pain wins for me.

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• Darken Rahl

• Darken Rahl
    replied
    I don't want to derail the search for a solution to the problem, but I'm curious how many people around these parts see this as a useful way of doing things and how many see this as an abhorrent hack. I attended a seminar at AU where this was presented and about half the room either sighed heavily or got up and left.

I wonder if this is an example of the situation where the output is being dictated by the "We've always done it this way" mentality or being driven by the contractor / client / consultant (ie. "we don't want to have full sheets reissued").

Leave a comment:

• ag182

• ag182
    replied
    Are you sure you don't have wireframe enabled instead of hidden line?

Leave a comment:

• Zero34
    replied
    @cheinaranta - i've made a generic annotation family of both the masking region and the logo and inserted both that way, allowing our logo to show up correctly. a bit of a pain, but seems to be working. And yes, it's not masking schedules even though it's a filled region. Though you could just hide in view the schedule, print, then unhide it..

Leave a comment:

• cheinaranta

• cheinaranta
    replied
    Hmmm, now my logo (also a nested generic annotation) is masked by the nested generic annotation filled region. Looks like I'll have to ditch the nested logo and just insert the filled region logo - that seems to work.

Leave a comment:

• cheinaranta

• cheinaranta
    replied
    I couldn't get masking regions to work and if you insert a filled region directly into the titleblock, it will mask any lines that you placed in the titleblock family (it'll look good in the family editor, but bring it into the project and it's a whole different story).
    Instead, I created a filled region in a generic annotation and then nest that family into the titleblock family. NB: this won't mask schedules on the sheet.

Some other reading, kind of related.

Leave a comment:

• Zero34
    replied
    even with the updates, and *redoing* the masking regions, no matter if i do it in 2010, 2011, 2012 or 2013, masking regions in titleblocks aren't working for us... doesn't seem to matter what machine we use. Is this a normal thing or a missing setting that i'm pulling a brain fart on and forgetting.. anyone?

Leave a comment:

• mfrietze

• mfrietze
    replied
    Service pack is installed.
    I think they were white filled regions to begin with, but redoing them in 2013 will do the trick!

Leave a comment:

• DaveP

• DaveP
    replied
    Have you installed the Service Pack?
    There was a bug with Masking Regions in the first release of 2013 that is supposedly fixed in SP1.

Leave a comment:

• Twiceroadsfool
    Administrator

• Twiceroadsfool
    replied
    Originally posted by mfrietze View Post
    Great! I'll give it a try!

Thanks!
    Have you tried just *redoing* the masking region in your titleblock? 2013 jacked my wall tags, but redoing the masking region restored them to functional.

Leave a comment: