Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Construction Administration

During CA, the method we have employed in the past is like so:

1. Make changes to model/views/sheets, etc.
    2. Duplicate affected views.
    3. Create new sheet with 8 1/2" x 11" title block.
    4. Stretch new duplicated views down in size to fit on 8 1/2 x 11 for the affected areas.
    5. Cloud changes.
    6. Print.

This method makes sure that all affected views and sheets are updated during construction as changes come along and also provides the 8 1/2" x 11" document back to the contractor. If the area affected is too large and we need to print the entire sheet(s), we do. We take it case by case.

The issue is that when we duplicate the affected views for the 8 1/2 x 11's, we have new callout tags showing up all over the place and that is getting to be a pain to deal with. My question is: Is there a better way to deal with Construction Admin? What are others doing?
    Thanks.

We tend to re-issue full sheets, which, while not terribly eco-friendly, does the job with the least fuss.

In the event that an 8.5x11 or 11x17 must be issued, then we make all our changes to the full sheet, zoom in and print what's "visible in view" to a pdf, and then paste that into a Word document, which has an addendum border already inserted as an image, with the footer set up to contain the information specific to the project, reference sheet, etc. Then we print the Word document to a pdf and issue that. That way, the sheets in the project maintain the "log" of changes issued, and a record set can be printed from Revit at any time with all the clouds turned on.

Arcturis
    BIM Manager
    Associate Architect

Comment

Thinking out loud here,
      can you create a view category in your project browser for "revisions" When the view is duplicated, in the view properties, change the view to the "revisions" category. This should stack them in their own category in the browser.
      Then create a view filter to hide the references created by the views in the "revisions" category?
      Andrew Harp
      BIM Manager GHD
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you.
      If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.

Comment

Using a revision border

What we have done is that we have a 8.5x11 and 11x17 borders with a large masking region nested into it. We revise the whole sheet and cloud the changes and then the 8.5x11 border is loaded in to mask out the rest of the sheet and we print our pdf of the revision . You may move the border around on a large sheet to make more than one sketch if necessary. After making the pdf's, you just delete the masking border. You have to try it for it to really make sense, but it really is the best method we have found. All of your revisions are still tracked properly on your overall drawing set. The references don't get messed up with duplicate views. The masking border has title block parameters in it so when you place it on sheet A2.15 for example, it puts in the project info, sheet name and number, etc. into the sketch title block. The revision number is put into the sketch as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mthurnauer View Post
          What we have done is that we have a 8.5x11 and 11x17 borders with a large masking region nested into it. We revise the whole sheet and cloud the changes and then the 8.5x11 border is loaded in to mask out the rest of the sheet and we print our pdf of the revision . You may move the border around on a large sheet to make more than one sketch if necessary. After making the pdf's, you just delete the masking border. You have to try it for it to really make sense, but it really is the best method we have found. All of your revisions are still tracked properly on your overall drawing set. The references don't get messed up with duplicate views. The masking border has title block parameters in it so when you place it on sheet A2.15 for example, it puts in the project info, sheet name and number, etc. into the sketch title block. The revision number is put into the sketch as well.
          This is what my old firm did and what I am looking to move my new firm towards doing. This is a very efficient way of doing this that won't create hundrededs of duplicated views in the project file.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Printing the full size sheet is not an option here. The idea about the masking region sheet is interesting.

Comment

Can you tell me more about this border? Is it a title block family?

Edit to add...I figured it out and have created a title block that works great. The only issue I am having is printing. Jeez, I wish Revit had an option to window a print.
              Last edited by renogreen; August 9, 2011, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by renogreen View Post
                ...Jeez, I wish Revit had an option to window a print.
                Yah, that would be nice.

A workaround: Create a new titleblock family ~twice the size of your largest sheet, in the center of that "titleblock", create the "window" to print (parametric size or static). Place this new "titleblock" on top of your sheet so the part of the sheet you want to print is in the center of the "titleblock", and use the CENTER option in the print setup.
                Attached Files
                Klaus Munkholm
                "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
                  Yah, that would be nice.

A workaround: Create a new titleblock family ~twice the size of your largest sheet, in the center of that "titleblock", create the "window" to print (parametric size or static). Place this new "titleblock" on top of your sheet so the part of the sheet you want to print is in the center of the "titleblock", and use the CENTER option in the print setup.
                  Could you post an working example of this Klaus? I think I get what you are talking about. We might use something similar for or CA sheets. Thanks
                  -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Sure, see the attached. And note that it´s important that:
                    1. The "Titleblock Window Print" covers the entire sheet
                    2. You use the Center option when you print
                    Attached Files
                    Klaus Munkholm
                    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment