IFC Conversion onto Revit 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IFC Conversion onto Revit 2017

I have been using Revit for a while and have now got myself Revit 2017 installed.
    I am by no way "good" at using Revit, I am purely self-taught from anything and everything I can find on the Internet and I'm still learning.

My issue is with trying to convert ifc files into Revit to then be able to do a takeoff etc of the model. My problem is that I am sometimes successful and sometimes I am not. My frustration in the fact I am doing nothing differently with each ifc file.

Can someone please help me and teach me what is the full and proper way to import the model?

In addition any informatation about ifc file types, like its limits. Are there any files I need in addition to the ifc file?

The dream for me is to receive any ifc file and be able to quickly do a quote of the model and then to update the model into a structural model.

Please make my dream a reality!

Kind Regards

First Ever Thread!

Do you know what programs the IFC came from? Quite often its the export settings which dictate the useful ness when you import it.....
    Alex Page
    RevitWorks Ltd
    Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

It is never obvious where the ifc files came from.
      Should I always request an IFC that is exported, to contain x,y and z. Or just export everything into the ifc?
      Is there a method of conversion which would enable me to create an estimate on the architects job no matter the quality of the ifc?
      At this early stage there is no need for a structural model, just need to be able to do a quote that is accurate.

Comment

Not sure - as stated its more likely the way the other party has exported it. Are you using the Alternate UI? If not - you should be (its more up-to-date)
        https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Det...ng=en&os=Win64
        Alex Page
        RevitWorks Ltd
        Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

Second the export settings. We have to use AutoCAD MEP to export instead of vanilla ACAD.

Comment

Would it make sense then to just ask that the exported ifc would contain everything from the architect? File size be damned.
            I am using the alternate ui, I'm sure it has helped but it may be just the knowledge of the masses about the ifc file format is limited as well as the interoperability of ifc is still maturing between all the different software that is out there.

Comment