Broken Revit File Extension Association

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Revit File Extension Association

Somehow my work computer nolonger recognizes RVT files as Revit files. I've tried right clicking and using the "open with this program" buttton and navigating to the Revit exe file. This does not work. I've also tried clicking the "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" box.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Scott Hopkins AIA LEED AP
    Peikert Group Architects

Windoze 7
    Open My Computer and in the address bar type
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations

XP
    Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types

With either OS you can change the file association for .rvt files.

:thumbsup: :beer:
    Last edited by Alex Cunningham; August 5, 2011, 10:08 PM.
    -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Thanks for the replay Alex. I couldn't get it to work your way, but I did find this on the web that worked for me.

If a program does not show up in the list, you can make the program a default by using Set Associations.
      1. Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Default Programs.

2. Click Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

3. Click the file type or protocol that you want the program to act as the default for.

4. Click Change program.

5. Click the program that you want to use as the default for the file type you selected, or click the arrow next to

Other Programs to show additional programs. (If you don't see Other Programs, or your program
      is not listed,

click Browse to find the program you want to use, and then click Open

6. Click OK
      Scott Hopkins AIA LEED AP
      Peikert Group Architects

Comment

So, I lost my .rvt file association broke somehow when I upgraded to 2016. No big deal, I just reassociated it with Revit.exe. The problem is, it opens a new revit every time I double click a file in the explorer. My assumption is that there is something similar the the "dwglauncher" in AutoCAD. Anyone know what program should be set as the default program?

Comment