Parts Parameters from Original

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts Parameters from Original

I'm working with a model from an architect in Revit 2012, and i'm trying to use parts to create a more detailed 4d schedule (I use Navisworks for 4d). I'm having a couple of different issues that I can't figure out.

1. Is there a way to create custom parameters of the original object that will push to the parts?
    ex. i would give an exterior wall custom parameters to define elevation (eg east) so that i can make a search set in Navis that corresponds
    it would be much easier if all of the exterior wall's parts picked up certain parameters from its original geometry because i will use about 4 custom parameters per model (level, sequence, elevation, building)
    2. Is there a way to control the ID number of parts based on their original geometry. My goal with this is once the architect updates his model i want to be able to push my custom parameters back into the correct parts. However, it appears that the ID number would be different each time the model is updated, and parts are created. (I would actually need some help with the whole process of pushing custom parameters into an existing model based on ID, but want to see if the parts thing is possible before spending too much time on it)

Also, I'm pretty new to Revit. I'm completely willing to use formulas or whatever it takes to make this work...I'll just need a little more help with it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Not sure about sending the parameters of Parts thru to NW, but the ID numbers of Parts are generated and available in Revit, so I'd think that when exported out to
    .nwc and opened in NW you should be able to read the Parts by ID number. I suppose that if there were Project and/or Shared Parameters in the Revit file, those may come thru in NW. Sorry, I don't have much experience on the NW side.
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Navis doesnt have a tool to split up the walls in to parts for scheduling? Thats too bad, Synchro does. That, or break it apart in Revit beforehand. I know this was the *point* of Parts, but i dont think they are *there* yet.
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Hi, at this time, parts can't inherit parameters from original except phase and material.
        You will have to deal with smart selection set and shared parameters; and manual input.....
        Revit should progress in the way of getting parameters from parents, host etc...
        Make a wish...;-)
        Julien
        "Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus!"
        P. DAC
        Follow me on Twitter @Jbenoit44 - Blog: http://aecuandme.wordpress.com/

Comment

Cliff...thanks for the quick reply. I guess i wasn't real clear in my original questions. Once i get the parts to NW I'm fine. The problems is getting the information I want in each part while i'm in Revit. To try to clarify

1) My goal would be to assign as many parameters as possible to the original item, and then have the part inherit that parameter value (just to save some time).
          2) When i get an updated model from someone else (where I've assigned custom parameters in the original) use the ID numbers in the original model to auto populate custom parameter data in the new model. The parts ID is visible, but it's also different each time the model gets updated (since I'm creating the parts).

Comment

Whats funny about this, is the Innovaya Exporter can do this for you (grab parameters from "hosts" to put in "hosted" objects.) Makes me wonder why we cant do it in native Revit yet...
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
            @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
              Navis doesnt have a tool to split up the walls in to parts for scheduling? Thats too bad, Synchro does. That, or break it apart in Revit beforehand. I know this was the *point* of Parts, but i dont think they are *there* yet.
              Completely agree. I actually wish the 'Parts' were in NW instead of Revit. now everytime i change something in Revit I have to re-export as .nwc, and then import that to Navis (it won't even read .rvt files). Do you have any experience pushing parameter values into a model based on ID # in an older version?

Comment

I see what you are trying to do, but it's just a bit over my head since I haven't tried doing it with 2012 and NW. Sounds like the Parts don't inherit parameters from the Host in Revit, from what the other posts here say. Do any of the NW gurus on the NW Forums have any experience doing this with Revit models?
                Cliff B. Collins
                Registered Architect
                The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
                Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

to be honest...haven't check yet. I figured I'd start with Revit since thats where my problem is, but you're right that those people may have more experience with it...thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Just had a little bit of a brainstorm based on Julien's comment...There are check boxes for materials and phasing to use values created in the original, or to make them specific for the parts. Is there anyway to view the code used to create these buttons, and more importantly possibly duplicate/modify them???

Comment