Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you schedule a standard group?

Hi.

Can you schedule a group? I am aware that you can shedule assemblies, but would like to schedule a standard group.

Heres my issue:
    I have various curtain walls grouped and would now like to schedule these curtain wall groups. (Cant have curtain wall assemblies)

Thanks,
    Craig

No. But there is a slightly manual way, of putting a Family that is nothing more than in Identifier, in the group itself. I like this method, because i also make it the "tag" for the Curtain wall or Storefront Configuration. Then you can schedule "those families." Since they populate through all the groups, it works well.

But its NUTS that we still cant schedule Model Groups. Assemblies arent the answer. There are all sorts of issues with them.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Okay thanks

Comment

Aaron,

Can you explain more in details about "putting a Family that is nothing more than in Identifier, in the group itself".
        What family are you referring to?

Thanks
        Philip Chan
        Practice Technology Manager | HKS
        http://phil-osophyinbim.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have tried to do just that, with the "group" property of the API. The result is that after the groups have been setup, changing any parameter inside will confuse revit, as it will try to create different instances of the same.
          The most obvious solution is to create a text custom parameter like "Group Mark", and then filling that parameter with the group name, but in group editing mode.
          Gonçalo Feio
          "Ignorance, ignorance, sheer ignorance - you know there's no confidence to equal it. It's only when you know something about a profession, I think, that you're timid and careful." George Orson Welles

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
            No. But there is a slightly manual way, of putting a Family that is nothing more than in Identifier, in the group itself. I like this method, because i also make it the "tag" for the Curtain wall or Storefront Configuration. Then you can schedule "those families." Since they populate through all the groups, it works well.

But its NUTS that we still cant schedule Model Groups. Assemblies arent the answer. There are all sorts of issues with them.
            Thank you for this method. It works well. (Yes, you talked about it at RTC in Melbourne)

But how do you control the visibility of the Generic Annotation by view? If I put it on a Yes/No visibility parameter it on/off in all views, but I would like to see the gen anno in some views but not all?

Comment

Filters.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

Thank you. That works.

(Curiously, retro-fitting the generic model into my groups caused the Generic Annotation to display in the current view regardless of the Level that the group was used in. That is, I got all the annotations from my level 2 groups showing up in my level 1 plan as well. Groups placed after the generic model identifier family was added did not exhibit this behaviour.)

Follow up question please: How do I stop the annotations from rotating with the group? Switching the Keep Readable option does not help. Is it possible to access the instance of the group? Do I need an API to read whether the family is flipped or rotated?

Thanking you.

Comment

Keep readable will still allow it to rotate 90 degrees. I'm personally okay with that so I don't bother. You could have a project parameter that varies by group instance that is an integer, that you then use In the filter, and use the API to report a combination of ismirrored and isflipped to change that integer. But seems like a lot of work for just a graphics effect.

Comment