Roof Part BUG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof Part BUG

Below is the support request I submitted to Autodesk regarding roofs and the new parts functionality...

The new parts functionality has odd behaviour with roofs.

1. A roof with a hole in it (hole created in roof edit) cannot be turned into parts.
    2. A roof with parts can be cut with an opening and retain parts.
    3. A roof with parts cut loses its parts when edited to have a slope (mono pitch)
    4. A roof with a monopitch slope, cut into parts, loses its parts when cut with an opening.
    5. A roof with a monopitch slope, cut into parts, loses its parts if the slope is removed by edit roof. IF the slope is set to 0° the parts remain. The parts only disappear once the 'defines slope' is removed.
    6. Once parts are removed in this way, the roof cannot be cut into parts again.

There are more anonalies, though these are the only ones I have figured out how to replicate.
    There are some serious issues with the tool, which I hope are fixed. Has anyone else noticed any strange behaviour with these entities?
    I used to be high on life, until I realised it was cut with Morons.
    Combating ignorance daily through learning.

Most of those are the result of the documented limitation for Roofs and Parts: Parts can be divided from elements with layered structures such as: Roofs (excluding those with ridge lines). Openings would create additional boundaries within the roof sketch and at this time that appears to be sufficient to "kill" the Parts feature too. Looks to me like it is getting interpreted "as possible ridges", that and Parts don't function with shape edited floors (or roofs as a result). Most of what you've listed doesn't surprise me and the factory should be well aware of the limitations. Parts are at release 1.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
      Most of those are the result of the documented limitation for Roofs and Parts: Parts can be divided from elements with layered structures such as: Roofs (excluding those with ridge lines). Openings would create additional boundaries within the roof sketch and at this time that appears to be sufficient to "kill" the Parts feature too. Looks to me like it is getting interpreted "as possible ridges", that and Parts don't function with shape edited floors (or roofs as a result). Most of what you've listed doesn't surprise me and the factory should be well aware of the limitations. Parts are at release 1.0.
      Steve is correct those behaviors are known and documented with development.
      Jeff Hanson
      Sr. Subject Matter Expert
      Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
        Can you be a little more specific, with some examples of where each of these is documented?

I can see how Revit could confuse an internal line as a 'ridge'. Parts can however deal with shafts, openings, dormers and families with voids (i.e. skylights) so the leap isn't too far....

I think you may have mistaken my use of the word edit to mean shape editing where I was meaning edit boundary.

I cannot find any reference to why roof parts would break when a slope is removed. Considering that flat and sloped (yes mono-pitched) roofs support parts, it is odd that they would break when changing between the two, especially when reducing the slope to 0° works, yet removing the slope definition does. This behaviour is not present in floors, as you can add/remove slope definitions. Granted that floors support only one slope created in edit mode they can also be cut with parts when containing complex outlines (hole cut using edit boundary)

After further testing it appears that my number 4 is not true, yet the others are valid.

I have used floor instead of roof for instances where my flat roof needs to be dissected, and confident that this would also work with slopes too. Every other application of the parts functionality has worked extremely well, and the tool has been well thought out, if not a little buggy

I am sure that the factory is aware that 1.0 will have bugs, can you mention these so they have specifics?

Jeff, can you provide specific references to the documentation too, and how they apply to each of my findings (minus number 4 of course ; )) For starters please cut the flat roof in the attached file into parts and repost. If you cannot do this, please provide a url reference to the page in the revit wiki that explains this behaviour.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Tim West; August 7, 2011, 10:22 PM. Reason: adding closing quip, and commenting on jeff....

Comment

Originally posted by Tim West View Post
          Jeff, can you provide specific references to the documentation too, and how they apply to each of my findings (minus number 4 of course ; )) For starters please cut the flat roof in the attached file into parts and repost. If you cannot do this, please provide a url reference to the page in the revit wiki that explains this behaviour.
          My reference to "documented" was meaning documented in our tracking system for issues for our development to investigate. It is currently NOT documented in the Revit wiki as far as I know.
          Jeff Hanson
          Sr. Subject Matter Expert
          Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

Excellent!

Parts are awesome, and work well for the most part. Glad that this is being addressed.

Comment