Color Coded Floors with Legend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Color Coded Floors with Legend

I want to make a color coded plan for different floor types. It needs to be view-specific. I made a view template with the overrides, but now is is possible to make a 'smart' legend showing which color corresponds with which floor? I thought I was onto something with conditional formatting in schedules but there are two problems: the colors don't come through to sheets and it appears that you can only have one condition per perimeter... for example once I tell it to color 4" slabs green, I can't tell it to ALSO color 6" slabs red.

You might try using Keynotes by Material or By Category, then create a custom Keynote Text File which would be a description of each Floor Type,
    and place Keynote Legend on the Sheets. For Color, you can simply use a shaded view and apply a shaded view material color for each Floor Type.
    However, this will not make a "color legend" which you are after.

Another "workaround" ( which is just that ) might be to consider using an Area Plan, and "fool" it into displaying colors/areas of the different Floor Types, and Name the Areas "Floor Type 1" etc. (I also thought about a Color Scheme/Legend by Department--and just name the Departments "Floor Type 1" etc.--but this would get confused with Rooms--so not a very good choice.)

Then Create an Area Legend, and make a new Area Type called Floor Types, and then place the Legend on the View. One advantage here is it also gives the Area of each Floor Type. See attached.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cliff collins; August 4, 2011, 08:56 PM.
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Or just a floor plan with a colour scheme (using room parameters)?
      Michael
      Canberra, Australia

Comment

I'd go with the shaded views. And use a Legend View with overridden colors to match the color of the section in the Legend View with the surface color in the project.
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

If you employ the phase workaround for creating legend details, then you've the opportunity to do it that way.

You'll probably have floor type "swatches" for taking your sections anyway, so use a plan of them, with the same filter/colour overrides; tag, annotate, then place the view on the sheet with your building plan.

We do this with all categories in our "Types Phase" - for all legend type uses - and everything stays consistent, and doesn't require employing other tricks. It also keeps "one instance behind" so they never get purged. And now, finally, they all come through ready for use in in our template!
          Last edited by snowyweston; August 5, 2011, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Another alternative is the one that was described in this post some time ago:
            http://revitforum.org/showthread.php...ull=1#post3333
            If you add a transparent filled region with color to those patterns, then you get a nice Floor Types Legend with color and hatch patterns. You can copy the legend and the family into other projects as well, to reuse the legend.
            Attached Files
            Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

For what the OP asked--a "color diagram with legend showing floor types"---

I still think the Area Plan method is better--includes color, legend and area all automatically.

But the GM Family method is good if it's a more CD look you are after with a surface pattern. Don't like the idea of filled regions..........

But a good discussion..........
              Cliff B. Collins
              Registered Architect
              The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
              Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

I would go for view filters in a view template.
                that way you can update the legend view as well.
                And keynotes is my parameter of choice for coding the colors.
                Gonçalo Feio
                "Ignorance, ignorance, sheer ignorance - you know there's no confidence to equal it. It's only when you know something about a profession, I think, that you're timid and careful." George Orson Welles

Comment

The main problem I have with the Area Plan, and even more with the Filled Region, is the lack of consistency. If you change something in the floor finish, you need to adjust your model AND the Area Plan / Filled Regions. This can cause some serious errors.

Besides that, the OP wasn't stating the legend needed to be IN the view (since he was trying to make it work with schedules)
                  Martijn de Riet
                  Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                  MdR Advies
                  Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment