Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revit Detailing Workflow

All:

I am curious as to the typical school of thought for Detailing within Revit. I know this question has been asked before, but I thought I would start a new thread for the "latest and greatest" thoughts and ideas. I'd be interested to know how people are doing it.

The ways I am aware of:

1) Use the model as much as possible. (pros/cons?)
    2) Detail over the model and turn it off.
    3) Hybrid of the two (depending on level of detail, i.e. wall section vs. blow up detail, etc.)

Would love to hear some project experience from everyone. I have done option 2 above, and it worked fine, but it's not very "BIM like" and I am wondering what the pros/cons are of the other methods, and what tools you find yourself using the most (i.e. cut profile, masking regions, etc.)
    Josh Moore, Design App Manager, Perkins+Will
    www.perkinswill.com
    www.revitinfo.com

The more #1, the better. Only use #2 and 3 when #1 can't provide enough information. Try adjusting the way you make that determination, and don't fall back to "how it used to look in Cad" or older ways of showing details. Adjust the way the documents look to some degree, by the way REvit works and don't force the over-use of 2D tools "just to make the detail look like we were used to".

There reasons for this are many. The less "chasing around" 2D stuff the better--esp.when changes occur and the model elements move, and then you have to keep up with all the 2D stuff placed over the model. This is a money and time wasting effort.

Also consider using 3D views ( esp. in 2012 where they can be locked and annotated ) instead of or in addition to 2D sections and details cut from the model.

Just my 2 c worth.
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Hey cliff, this is great information. I like the idea of doing 3D views (like for wall sections!) I'll have to experiment with that.

So for, let's say, a section detail, how do you go about showing Brick coursing? Is that a 2D brick joint family set up as a repeating detail? What about flashings, etc.

What I did on the last job (for #2) was created a ton of detail groups and reused them in each of my wall sections and then copied them to my details. That way, I was able to just make a change once, and it reflected in all instances of that detail condition. That helped, but still not very "BIM like".

I'm still just a little unsure on where you draw the line on the detailing here, like for flashings, brick joints, metal panel joints, etc. Suggestions/Experience? Did you have any push back from anyone on doing it the way you are referring?

Thanks for the dialogue.
      www.perkinswill.com
      www.revitinfo.com

Comment

#1 - Model 100% if you/users know revit well enough.
        pros- speed, accuracy
        cons - slow... if you don't know what you are doing or don't have a developed set of content

#3 - Sections live, with non associative details drawn with detail components and lines.
        pros - easy for new people, Typical Details
        cons - slow, inaccurate
        -Alex Cunningham

Comment

here is tutorial video for you, when guy from modeling stage went to detailing. Good luck
          http://revit-detail.blogspot.com/201...nnotation.html

Comment

Definately #1. I use as little #3 as possible and would definately not ever go with #2.

#1: Well, that's obvious. You will never get to 100% since that would kill your model, but you can get close. And even if your modelled stuff doesn't have enough detail, like a mullion or window frame, you can always incorporate the detail component inside the Model Family. That way they will at least be in the right place...

#2: Well, why not go to autocad. At the very least you need the major modelled elements for reference.

#3: The most practical I think. One cannot catch all in the modelled elements.
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

If anyone turns off the model in our drawings, ill freak on them. We use drafting views THAT REFERENCE MODEL SCHEDULES where things are extremely typical, but they even still reference the model schedules for variations in size (things like cabinets, workstation detailing, etc). Everything "building" related is modeled or is detail components augmenting the model, but the model DOES NOT get turned off. Period.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Hey Aaron, is what I attached something close to how you guys would deal with it?

1) Left the model on and adjusted the Cut Line style in the View Properties
                2) Use a repeating details to create the brick, added batt insulation, and wood sections
                3) Added detail components to the window family to display in section/detail.

Had to set a few model lines to invisible, but all in all I think this works okay. Do you align and lock to the model to help stuff move with the model, or fix it as needed? I had some trouble in a few areas determining the best way to get stuff to work. For example, I had to create a separate detail component for the brick beyond, and not include a masking region so it wouldn't cover the line beyond created by the window model. Little stuff like that seems a bit screwy, because since I am using the model, there is no way for me to force a line projected from the model to be on top of a line from a detail component, is there?

Thanks for the advice man. We hadn't gotten to the point of really truely using the model for detailing, so this part is a bit new to me.
                Attached Files
                www.perkinswill.com
                www.revitinfo.com

Comment

Here is a follow up to the challenges I am currently having...maybe some people have some quick ideas on how to resolve this?? Please see the attached image.

Basically, I am having issues in a few places where we would typically detail, to show brick or siding, for example, and since the wall model is being left on, I am seeing stuff behind the model that I don't want to see.

How is this best handled?...Just some masking regions?...I try to use masking regions as little as possible, as it is hard for someone else to get in and know what's going on...is there another way?...I am having trouble with the Lineweight tool too...the line of the inside face of brick doesn't seem to want to turn invisible...it just turns a light grey (that prints) but won't actually go away...weird.
                  Attached Files
                  www.perkinswill.com
                  www.revitinfo.com

Comment

Is the section cut exactly 90 deg. / perpendicular to the wall? Seems like the diagonal hatch of the siding should not be showing. Also, is the siding hatch a surface pattern or a cut pattern? If it's only surface pattern you can turn it off but leave on the cut patterns.

As for the rowlock sill, just model it and you won't have any "conflict" from model to 2D detail components. Another trick is to make Detail Groups out of your Detail Components and copy them/modify/rename for other similar conditions.
                    Cliff B. Collins
                    Registered Architect
                    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
                    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment