Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Origin in the titleblock families

Hi,

Does it make any difference if the lower left corner of the titleblock family is not at 0,0? We would like to have our titleblock families shrink/grow from the bottom right corner instead of bottom left corner. When we do this, 0,0 origin of the family file appears in different locations (import origin CAD file as Origin to Origin) in all titleblock families. I did some tests (print, export as cad, export as DWF, link DWF etc) but couldn't find any difference so thought I ask the experts here.
    Can you please let me know if I have missed anything here? I just want to make sure that the revised titleblock families (shrink/grow from bottom right) are OK before rolling out to the users.
    Thanks in anticipation.

Regards
    Pfaulder | London, UK

Nope, no problems. I have them set up like that too, doesn't give any problems.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

I have the bottom right corner as the origin too - But recently came aware that it does affect the way a exported DWG opens on the Layout Tab in AutoCAD. Not a big deal, since the Layout Tab view is zoomed waaayyy in anyway... Any way to avoid that BTW?
      Klaus Munkholm
      "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
        I have the bottom right corner as the origin too - But recently came aware that it does affect the way a exported DWG opens on the Layout Tab in AutoCAD. Not a big deal, since the Layout Tab view is zoomed waaayyy in anyway... Any way to avoid that BTW?
        Anyone wanting it in dwg from me is on his/her own...
        Seriously: I've never had any complaints, nor noticed it myself. Would have to check...
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Bottom Left, here. I do it that way since the Detail boxes are a fixed size, for us... Which means the Titleblock border on the right side varies slightly to accomodate different sizes of sheets. So grabbing a 24x36 titleblock and switching it to 30x42 means we dont have to adjust any viewports, they are all still somewhere that makes sense. I guess you could do it with the right side, but the way the sizes of the sheets iron out, the math doesnt appear to make as much sense.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Thanks Aaron and all others for your quick and kind reponse. Aaron's reply makes me think about our strategy now. I didn't think about detail boxes. I was planning to get standard detail boxes in our titleblock families as a next thing after I modify origin. But now we will have to plan our detail boxes first and then review titleblock origin. Aaron, You should write a book on Revit (project) management..no doubt it will be a super hit in the revit community.
            Regards
            Pfaulder | London, UK

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
              Bottom Left, here. I do it that way since the Detail boxes are a fixed size, for us... Which means the Titleblock border on the right side varies slightly to accomodate different sizes of sheets. So grabbing a 24x36 titleblock and switching it to 30x42 means we dont have to adjust any viewports, they are all still somewhere that makes sense. I guess you could do it with the right side, but the way the sizes of the sheets iron out, the math doesnt appear to make as much sense.
              We also grow from the bottom left for the exact same reason. We also label our details from the bottom left. A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, B2, B3, B4 ect ect ect This, along with a ton of coordination has given us ttl blocks from 8.5x11 all the way to 36x48 the look the same when printed. Really helps your sets look sharp.
              -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Yes, yes it does. =)
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

I have mixed feeling about this subject.
                  It's true that the titleblock coordinate system starts in the bottom left, but the NCS says that views should be placed starting from bottom right. The solution is not that straightforward and clear.
                  Also, there are two origins in a titleblock: the 0,0 of the family coordinate system and the placement origin, defined by two planes.
                  Gonçalo Feio
                  "Ignorance, ignorance, sheer ignorance - you know there's no confidence to equal it. It's only when you know something about a profession, I think, that you're timid and careful." George Orson Welles

Comment

Having the origin Bottom Left doesnt stop you at all from NCS compliance, since the views are all a perfectly nominal dimension (for us, anyway). If the titleblock grows, i select all viewports and move them exactly one bay right or left, as necessary to adhere to the guidelines. The only other way to get the best of both worlds, is to make the Origin the Bottom Right of the first DETAIL box, not counting the Title Strip on the right side. I entertained that concept the first time i went through this, but when you start tossing in the idea of *Design Titleblocks,* and other such things, its just not worth the User Confusion.

Comment