2017: new text engine not in fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017: new text engine not in fields

Anyone else noticed that the new text engine only seems to apply to regular text and not to text fields.

See the screencapture in attachment. Left is a field, right a regular text note. Same font, same size, ...

Does anybody know if they plan to update the text fields to the new engine?

[I know this is a minor issue but I hope that they will keep updating the new text engine and I would love to see those feature also being available for fields]
    Attached Files

By Fields, do you mean Parameter Labels? Its a known issue, that they were only developing the revamped Text Tools in the basic Text Editor. No Parameter Labels received the changes.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Yes Parameter Labels like in Tags and Parametric Text in titleblocks.

I really do hope they change that. High hopes... :-)

It really feels like they are on the right track now (finally) for the text editor!

Comment

I hadn't realized that Tags weren't updated yet.
        Kind of makes me (even more) hesitant to start upgrading projects.
        I've kept a policy for 10 years now that we upgrade all active projects every year.
        But with the slight changes in Text, we're not going to be able to simply upgrade projects this year. We'll have to upgrade and then carefully check every View to see if there are significant enough Text changes to warrant fixing. But if Tags aren't updated yet, I'm assuming they will be at some point & then we'll have to review again.
        Here's how one of our General Notes upgraded. Red is 2016, Green is 2017.
        Compare2016to2017.PNG
        When people say "When are they going to fix it?" I'm having a hard time explaining that this IS the fix. It's been broken for years now, an d if we want it to look the same, we'll have to break it again just to match to old wrong look.
        Dave Plumb
        BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

For now, I only observed real differences (that needed adjusting) on big text blocks (where lots of wrapping is going on), so perhaps the effect on tags will be minimal

Comment

One other thing I did see in that image above is that the right-justified "Revised date" text way up in the upper right corner also wrapped to two lines.
            I haven't investigated enough to see if that's because it was right-justified, or because it had a tight text box - or both.
            Hopefully, we haven't used a lot of right-justified text.

I'm sort of OK with those big blocks of text needing adjustment, because we'll want to re-do them to use the Numbered Outline 2017 provides anyway.
            But we will still need to review carefully as opposed to just blithely upgrading 240 .rvt files like I did last year.
            Dave Plumb
            BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

I wish I was a little bit taller...I wish I was a ba.... anyways...

I wish they would allow text and labels to have the same justification options, so that when needed they can line up nicely.
              Joshua Kohl

Eastern Exterior Wall Systems, Inc
              www.eews.com

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Kohl View Post
                I wish I was a little bit taller...I wish I was a ba....
                I can imagine it's frustrating for the programmers that every time they put out updates, the users immediately ask for new or additional stuff :-)

Comment

hmm - if using tags as descriptive comments on elements they aren't looking very good next to text anymore (font size etc the same in example)
                  tag vrs text.PNG
                  Alex Page
                  RevitWorks Ltd
                  Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

The tag or generic annotation family should be sizing the text the same as a text note in the project, for example. And they should print the same.

Are you seeing different sizes between project text and family text if they use identical settings? If so please attach an example - thanks!

Comment