Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annotation (Section Cut) incident

has anyone else noticed this?

I'm in RST2012. It's a workshared project. Co-worker started the project from an OOTB template. There are two Architectural links attached to this model (existing building and Architect's new construction.)

In a plan view, I turn on my crop region. As I adjust the crop region to the area I want, my section cuts (head and tail) change sides.

I prefer my section cuts to look as in the _afterCrop, but I never noticed the crop region affecting the annotation before. Anybody know why this occurs?
    Attached Files
    Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
    AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
    ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

Thats a cool trick!
    -Alex Cunningham

Comment

are you telling me it's a "Feature?"
      AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional

Comment

Leanne,
        What happens if you also turn on annotation crop, and keep that well outside the section heads?

As for a "feature", well, everything is a feature to marketing. To me that looks like a bug. But it could be that Revit is trying to keep the sections visible for as long as possible, and using an approach that makes sense to a programmer, but makes a user crazy.

Gordon
        Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Could it be something wrong with the section head family? The only reason I ask is the two that go through the corridor on the right didn't change position. So make the rest like those!
          Dan

Comment

@Dan, the section cut family is OOTB. All section cuts, including those along the corridor, are the same family.
            @Gordon, the annotation crop (in the previously attached .jpg's) was the default distance away from the crop region. I tested your (thought process) by turning on the annotation crop and stretching it out, way out, and the section cuts stayed as in the _AfterCrop.jpg.

Which is fine. The section cuts are where I prefer them. I just hadn't seen the crop region affect the annotation that way before; especially since my crop region was not crossing any annotation that I was aware of.

Comment

Yeah, was very much a testing process. I suspect worth posting to the factory as a bug, and let them know that annotation crop has no impact on the behavior. Another thing to test is, what happens if you toggle the section ends? And did you need to toggle the ends to start with? Perhaps only on the ones that didn't flip, or only on the ones that did? All good info to help the Factory find the problem faster. Because a drawing with the section head inside the building a just a crap drawing, and Revit shouldn't be creating that kind of thing all on its own. Will test this in RAC as soon as I can. Installing and playing with Lion at the moment. Woot!

Gordon
              Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Price View Post
                Yeah, was very much a testing process. I suspect worth posting to the factory as a bug, and let them know that annotation crop has no impact on the behavior. Another thing to test is, what happens if you toggle the section ends? And did you need to toggle the ends to start with? Perhaps only on the ones that didn't flip, or only on the ones that did? All good info to help the Factory find the problem faster. Because a drawing with the section head inside the building a just a crap drawing, and Revit shouldn't be creating that kind of thing all on its own. Will test this in RAC as soon as I can. Installing and playing with Lion at the moment. Woot!

Gordon
                Ehm gordon, the OP stated that Revit turned all bubbles to the OUTER side. So Revit in fact cleared up all the "wrong" ones (with the bubbles inside the drawing). Still sure it's not a "feature" (would be a cool one though)
                Martijn de Riet
                Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                MdR Advies
                Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

DOH! Yeah, still think it isn't a feature, as the software should NOT be telling the professional how the drawings should look. Even if I wouldn't do the drawings that way. A quick test shows no such behavior in RAC, which is a relief.

And for what it is worth, Leanne does Structural and section head inside is perhaps not a problem in that kind of drawing. Less "stuff" to conflict perhaps. For an Architectural drawing it would be a no go, at least for me and every office I have ever set foot in. So my comment should definitely be taken in an architectural drawing context.

All that said, it ain't doing what she wants it to do, which seems problematic.

Gordon
                  Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
                    Ehm gordon, the OP stated that Revit turned all bubbles to the OUTER side. So Revit in fact cleared up all the "wrong" ones (with the bubbles inside the drawing). Still sure it's not a "feature" (would be a cool one though)
                    Correct. The odd behavior did indeed clean up my plan for me.

@ Gordon, I don't know how the section cuts were originally drawn; the engineer who began the project added them where he wanted documentation. Probably added them at foundation level; these shown at roof level are probably just the (full-height) documentation of those same foundation cuts??? I'm not positive.

I'm having some other oddities with this project (getting ready to post an issue with filters and Discipline views) so maybe it's all related? {sigh} Been a long Tuesday.

Comment