Extracting Curtain Wall Wireframe and concrete for use in Solidworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extracting Curtain Wall Wireframe and concrete for use in Solidworks

I work in curtain wall and we are starting to receive revit models from architects and all looking for ways to extract useful information that we can use in our solidworks/catia models. What would be ideal is a wireframe (curtain wall grid) that can be exported in a format compatible with solidworks or catia. I have very limited revit experience and so far have only managed one means of getting useful information into solidworks by exporting the isolated mullions in .SAT format which is a very inefficient method because the wireframe then needs to be drawn over these parts. Just from looking at some tutorials I thought about the possibility of replacing the mullions with a model line. Is this at all possible?

Welcome to our forum, Nick Kane

Can you import a .dwg? Does it have to be a wireframe of the curtain grid only, or the actual curtain wall with mullions in 3D?
    You could export a 3d view from Revit as a .dwg with solids.
    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

It would be the best result to get a wireframe directly from revit. As of right now I am changing the profile to one with a vertex at the origin so that once in solidworks I can constrain the wireframe I draw to the edge representing the center line of the mullion. This is still a very time consuming process and I hope there is a better option. So is it not possible to make a mullion family subset that is only a model line?

Comment

I'll throw this in the ring:

Turn off mullions in Revit. This exposes the curtain grids. Export out to file format of your choice for import into Catia.

Does this work?
        Cliff B. Collins
        Registered Architect
        The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
        Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

The only way I am able to see the curtain grids is when all of the curtain wall related families (mullions, systems, panels) are visible and then I scroll over them and they get highlighted. I have looked through just about every option in the program and turned on/off anything I can to make them show up but have been unsuccessful. But like I said, I am very new to the program so I would be very interested in knowing how to make the grid visible at all times.

Comment

We are doing something similar between Revit and Inventor, for real time updates between Design and Fabrication. Suffice it to say that you have to devise a way to *build the grid* on top of the Curtain Wall. You wont get the "Curtain Grids" from Revit, out. Still doable, just a LITTLE more worh than normal.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
            @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment