Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding view to sheet, adds revision...

I have a very strange problem.

We have a project in the office, that has wierd problem. On certain views, when they are dropped onto a sheet, it automatically adds a revision onto the sheets revision schedule.

But its not even the latest revision, its the first one that was ever set up. Not a problem you say, just uncheck the revision on the sheets revision box. But, that is now greyed out and unable to uncheck it..?

If anyone has seen this before, or it is me being stupid, I am more than happy to have this pointed out...!

Many thanks...
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it

They have revision clouds somewhere IN the view, probably that revision is set to not have the clouds visible. Manage Ribbon > Additional Settings > Sheet issues/Revisions: Set the Revision to Show Cloud and Tag (Far right), and they will probably show up.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Hey Aaron..

Yes, your right, there are rev clouds on the view..

Ok.. so the problem I have now is this; The new view is a blow up of the original area. It is a new dwg and the original clouded revision has no bearing on this new dwg and sheet. How can I stop Revit from automatically adding the revision..?

Where we are powering thru with our Revit implementation, live revisions is one thing we are just starting to come across.. Should we be adding rev' clouds to sheets or views..? Would that make a difference..?

Cheers
      I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it

Comment

Add the clouds to the Views, not the Sheets. If they are on Sheets, and someone changes a view, then you are chasing the clouds around--like Paper Space in AutoCad!!!

If the new view was created using a Callout, it should not carry the annotations thru? If it was created by right-clicking in the Project Browser and selecting Duplicatewith Detailing, then perhaps the rev. cloud would come along with it?
        Cliff B. Collins
        Registered Architect
        The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
        Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Ours go on the sheet, for consistancies sake. In the view, in the view, in the view... Then what happens when a new view gets added, or a view gets removed? Oh, then its on the sheet. No point confusing people. Particularly since revising one view on one sheet doesnt always mean re-issuing all of the sheets that "modeled element" shows up on. Would be ideal if that was the case, but its not.

On the sheets for us.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

One example of why we do not place the revision clouds on Sheets:

Schedules: Let's say a Door Schedule needs a Revision. Place the Revision Cloud on the Sheet, carefully "circling" just the rows/columns on the Schedule "below" ( like Paper Space/Model Space in Cad) which have been revised.
            Now, someone changes one or more of the doors in the model, or adds one, or deletes one. The Rows move on the Schedule. But your Clouds stayed put on the Sheet. Now the wrong doors are clouded. Human error-prone workflows are NOT the best way to use Revit.
            For years, I have asked the Factory to enable Clouding directly on Schedules for just this reason. No good way to do it, really--until we can Cloud Schedules directly.
            Cliff B. Collins
            Registered Architect
            Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Right, obviously thats a problem. So whats your current workflow?

ive asked them for a lot of things. But i also do work today, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by cliff collins View Post
                One example of why we do not place the revision clouds on Sheets:

Schedules: Let's say a Door Schedule needs a Revision. Place the Revision Cloud on the Sheet, carefully "circling" just the rows/columns on the Schedule "below" ( like Paper Space/Model Space in Cad) which have been revised.
                Now, someone changes one or more of the doors in the model, or adds one, or deletes one. The Rows move on the Schedule. But your Clouds stayed put on the Sheet. Now the wrong doors are clouded. Human error-prone workflows are NOT the best way to use Revit.
                For years, I have asked the Factory to enable Clouding directly on Schedules for just this reason. No good way to do it, really--until we can Cloud Schedules directly.
                uhhm, I don't follow. Unless you found some magical way to cloud the schedules, you're not going to be able to cloud them at all...?
                Not that it matters, but I don't see any reason to cloud a schedule. Changes are made on a drawing (ok, in the model), a schedule is simply a summary of the graphics presented. Clouds should be in the model, not on schedules.

As for the Views vs Sheets: Well, sheets. For two reasons:
                1. Revisions are ment for external / later reference. They do not reflect ALL changes made to the model, only those made that affect stuff others should know about. I'm not going to add a revision because I redo a family or something. I cloud stuff I want the others to notice and act upon. So therefor, the sheets (as the primary form of communication with parties interested in my revisions) are clouded. NOT the views.
                2. See the OP. I don't want copies or dependants of that view popping up revisions that are totally not related to the subject of the SHEET (see point 1) above. Nor do I want a deleted view to screw up my entire revision schedule.
                Martijn de Riet
                Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                MdR Advies
                Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

We place the cloud on the view ( view activated ) over the schedule;then PIN both the cloud, triangle and the View. We DO NOT place the cloud on the Sheet
                  because of a major problem on a job where someone edited the doors, the schedule changed, and the cloud on the Sheet did not get moved and the WRONG information was sent out. We cloud the Schedules to show the Contractor and/or suppliers which specific doors have changed--beacuse they use the schedules as part of their workflow in conjunction with the rest of the drawings. We cloud the doors on the floor plans and elevations as well, to fully document the changes--E-Specs for Revit updates Specs for us linked to the Revit model.

When a Sheet is printed it still contains the cloud, a PDF and.or DWF is made for archiving etc.---so it's not about whether the Sheet is what's issued or not--it's about the technique in Revit for placing the clouds so they have less chances of being prone to human error. LOL.
                  Cliff B. Collins
                  Registered Architect
                  Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

So you still cloud the schedule on the SHEET then, yes? LOL.

Comment