Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Room Tags in a Large, Referenced Project

Hi,

I'm quite new to Revit and I've been tasked to put together a code compliance schedule (room areas and occupant loads) for a large project which has been modeled in 3 individual building files and referenced together in 1 site model. Is this something I should do individually per building file or is this something I should do in the combined file? It seems better to do this in the individual files so that the room numbers appear in the original files for personal reference sake, but it seems that the room tags don't get referenced with the building files into the site file. It would make sense though, too, to create the tags in the site file so that the room numbers remain unique among the different buildings.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Check this out:

http://www.saubim.com/

Also, I believe that in RAC 2012 you can tag Rooms across Linked files.
    Last edited by cliff collins; August 2, 2011, 02:37 PM.
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Thanks, but I don't have the opportunity to purchase software. I've found a way to get the schedule to calculate what I need, I'm just looking for the best way to go about the room tags (what problems arise when tagging in original files vs. problems when tagging in a referenced file).

Thanks.

Comment

FWIW---The software is only $20.....................

but I understand what you are asking.

The answer is, there is no perfect answer!

You have to just get into the project and try tagging across links, scheduling across links, and see how it goes.
        The old learn by doing method actually is one of the best.

good luck.
        Cliff B. Collins
        Registered Architect
        Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

If the Phases are mapped correctly, you can tag the Rooms in the Linked File. Or, go in to the old file, Tag the rooms in a specific View, then in the Parent file set the VG: RVT Link to By Linked View: The view in the link that has the room tags. So its tag across links, or tag in links. Both methods work, both will do what you want. Its either the inconvenience of By Linked View and not being able to move room tags easily, or the inconvenience of your tags versus room elements being in two different files, and having to move back and forth to change tag data.

Either way, you wont be able to change room names or numbers without going in the link, so bear that in mind.

As for the Link... You can do all of it with Key schedules and calculated values, for free.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Since this is a large project, you may be best off using Aaron's second method - setting the Link Visibility to a specific View.
            The reason being - even though you can now Tag a Room through a Link, as far as I can tell, the Tag All does NOT work through the Link.
            So you have to place each Room Tag one by one in your Site model.
            Dave Plumb
            BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Does that mean I'd have to link each floor (sheet view) as opposed just linking the file once?

Comment

Absolutely NOT! That is an ACA/ADT Autocad mentality. Views are snapshots of the model, which are then placed on Sheets.

Revit links should be entire MODELS--not slices of floors like we used to do in ADT.

By Linked View is doable, but pretty hard for all users to grasp and for the team leader to enforce.

We generally annotate in one model. But there are occasions when annotating a linked file works better. My advice is:
                Try out both ways and see how the team responds, make a group decision and move on.
                Cliff B. Collins
                Registered Architect
                Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

You do NOT need to Link the other models in multiple times.
                  What you will need to do is set up each VIEW in your Site model to point specifically to a View in each individual building model.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by DaveP; August 2, 2011, 06:17 PM. Reason: Looks like Cliff pretty much said what I was about to.
                  Dave Plumb
                  BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Oh, great!

I've done that with one level, but it still isn't recognizing the room in the schedule. And if I try to just create a new room tag on the reference it fails to recognize a "properly enclosed region." Shouldn't it recognize the walls/boundaries if this is a BIM as opposed to a "dumb" reference?

Comment