Working with point clouds and optimizing Revit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working with point clouds and optimizing Revit

When working with several point clouds in Revit updating views/screen can be very slow.
    Which measures below help best to speed up Revit (when is the PCG file removed from the view update or from the memory)?

1. Removing a PCG link file
    2. Unloading a PCG link file
    3. Hiding a PCG link file
    4. Closing the workset where a PCG link tile exist
    5. Setting the workset where a PCG link tile exist non-editable
    6. Cutting the visibility of the point cloud in a view with Sectioning
    7. Cutting the visibility of the point cloud in a view with View Range
    8. Setting visibility of point cloud off in V/G overrides

Removing will always be the most effective, but perhaps not what you are wanting. If there is a PCG file that is not being used or not being used frequently then removing is the way to go.

If it is a file that is used daily then worksets are probably the way to go.

If you are not using right now, but you may use it in a week, I would unload it for the time being.

In all I would treat a PCG file like a 3D DWG. I would only use it as an overlay to get things modeled correctly and then when I am done remove it completely.

Comment

Thanks, gdoherty0102. Yeah, I agree with you about "the big picture". The details how point cloud files are managed in memory would be handy, though.
      E.g. does unloading remove the linked file from the memory?
      Are all the point cloud files calculated and updated every time view is panned or zoomed, even if they are not visible becouse of cropped view?
      How about if workset in non-editable or closed?

Couple of handy advice from the developers would make a great difference. Presently working with point slouds in Revit is so slow that using different process with software from other software vendors is clearly more profitable.

Comment

1. Removing a PCG link file

Unloads from memory

2. Unloading a PCG link file

Unloads from memory. But not necessary from the sessions cache file.

3. Hiding a PCG link file

Is ok for regeneration and stuff. But doesn't unload from memory AND needs to be adressed in all views.

4. Closing the workset where a PCG link tile exist

Unloads from memory. But again, not neceassary from the cache file. However, you can also choose not to load on opening the file which definately keeps it from the memory.

5. Setting the workset where a PCG link tile exist non-editable

Doesn't do squat

6. Cutting the visibility of the point cloud in a view with Sectioning

I wouldn't know actually. I guess, since you linked it in as one object (well, sort of), it still regenerates everything

7. Cutting the visibility of the point cloud in a view with View Range

Same as 6.

8. Setting visibility of point cloud off in V/G overrides

Same as 3.
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thanks!
          It seems most practical way of using point clouds is gathering them to reasonable sized worksets, and to have only needed ones opened.

Comment