Door properties "From Room: Number" does not change when door flipped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door properties "From Room: Number" does not change when door flipped

It seems that the "From Room: Number" and "To Room: Number" properties of a door do not change when using the flip control. The only way to make these properties update is to delete and re-place the door.

Is this the way it's supposed to work or am I getting something wrong?

Chris

I would not go so far as to say that's the way it's "supposed" to work, but that is in fact the way that it does work.

Comment

Ah, one of those. Thanks.

Comment

Same is with windows as well. Some documentation states it should change but it never did.

A small API Program could do this. Because the funtions and properties needed are available (FlipFacing();FlipFromToRoom();CanFlipFacing;Facin gFlipped;...);
        [email protected]

http://4revit.com

Comment

Try using mirror with the "create copy" checked off. This will delete the door and replace it with a new one.
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Mirror (no copy) does indeed delete the door and create a new one, but the From Room and To Room still do not change.

The Revit 2012 help page on the subject indicates that the From Room and To Room field behavior is expected.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2012/Help/Revit_User's_Guide/1394-Document1394/1476-Schedule1476/1503-Specifyi1503/1504-Selectin1504/1505-Includin1505

Last paragraph.
            Last edited by hclbaumbach; August 2, 2011, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Are they out of there freakin mind???
              Never noticed this before (most of the time I copy my schedules into the architect's file). But this is really really bad. There's not even a way to enforce a refresh!?
              I'd suggest you file a support request for this. Sucks big time!

But what I don't understand is that the mirror trick doesn't work. Since you are in fact creating a new instance.... Weird.
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

I've had several discussions with our Life Safety (Code) guy about this.
                Usually, when a door changes swing, it changes the From Room.
                But not necessarily.
                From Room and To Room are really more a function of Code requirements than which way it swings.
                Some doors can open into a Corridor, and some can open into the Room. But the From Room is still the Room, not the Corridor.
                You'd probably have just as many (OK, maybe almost as many) complaining if the default behavior was to automatically change the From/To.
                Dave Plumb
                BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
                  Are they out of there freakin mind???
                  Never noticed this before (most of the time I copy my schedules into the architect's file). But this is really really bad. There's not even a way to enforce a refresh!?
                  I'd suggest you file a support request for this. Sucks big time!

But what I don't understand is that the mirror trick doesn't work. Since you are in fact creating a new instance.... Weird.
                  I think they are only partially out of their minds. Technically, the fundamental requirement of a door number is that it is unique, not that it corresponds with a room number. For sanity's sake during construction, door numbers need to correspond to rooms so that one can find a door in a paper drawing set. If you have a Revit and a copy of the model, who gives a rip about room numbers and door numbers? If you are on the job site trying to figure out what door is where, then those door numbers better correspond to something rational. There will always be an element of user input in the door=room number method for rooms that have more than one door...

I hate to say it, but ACA's system for door numbering is better than RAC's. If set up properly (that's a big IF), each door gets a little tail. Drag the end of the tail into the room you want the door number to come from if you don't like where the default is.
                  Last edited by jsnyder; August 3, 2011, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Good point, j.
                    I'd MUCH rather see time spent being able to link a Door and a Room rather than "automatically" flipping the To and From rooms.
                    Sounds to me like like the "tail" idea would work pretty well. Not a whole lot different than adding a Leader to a Room Tag.
                    Dave Plumb
                    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment