Selecting items in a linked file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selecting items in a linked file?

so I'm working on a project that has an Architect's RAC 2012 model linked into it. I'm having to select lots of objects to Hide in View because they are in my way and for a lot of these objects there are a multitude of them. It seems that there is no option to Select All Instances in a linked file so I'm having to tab my way through and Ctrl-select them one at a time. Dreary waste of time I can tell you. Is there some way to select multiple objects in a linked file that I'm not aware of? If the linked file has a certain wall type and I want to turn all of that wall type off in a view is there a way to do that?

Where's the danged Magic Button anyway?
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Can't you create filters for that? Filter on type name?
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
      Can't you create filters for that? Filter on type name?
      sure, leading to 100's of filters. The time consuming work make my elbows itch. Might be worth an attempt for some of the major items though.

Comment

But you were successfully separating the architect's model from your scope of work with worksets before. Are worksets not a solution in this case?

If you want to use filters, you need to create them first in the views of the architect's model; I don't think you can filter from your host file.
        Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

do you have the arch file?
          Add a project parameter to the walls (or other categories you wish to filter), use select all instances here, fill in the parameter (for instance an instance Yes/No called "filter this crap") and filter by that. Problem with this is that you need to be very careful with updated arch models...
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
            But you were successfully separating the architect's model from your scope of work with worksets before. Are worksets not a solution in this case?
            yes, the linked Architect's model is separated by a workset but I don't understand how that would help me select individual items from that model ??

If you want to use filters, you need to create them first in the views of the architect's model; I don't think you can filter from your host file.
            just discovered this...filters don't work from my project file on the linked file...

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
            do you have the arch file?
            Add a project parameter to the walls (or other categories you wish to filter), use select all instances here, fill in the parameter (for instance an instance Yes/No called "filter this crap") and filter by that. Problem with this is that you need to be very careful with updated arch models...
            yes, I have the Architect's file and will try to filter in that file. An updated model is my current problem. I went through this whole process once before only to have to do it again because of an updated model. In anticipation of receiving future updated models I'd like to figure out how to automate this process so I don't have to do this again in the future (pick items one at a time and Hide in View)

thanks Alf and Martijn, I'll report progress as it occurs.

thinking more just as I was going to hit the Post button: Why would I need a filter in the Architect's file? I could there just do a Select all Instances: In Entire Project and turn all of that wall type off. Or, maybe not. I guess it would be view dependent. Sigh, back to work

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
              ...thinking more just as I was going to hit the Post button: Why would I need a filter in the Architect's file? I could there just do a Select all Instances: In Entire Project and turn all of that wall type off. Or, maybe not. I guess it would be view dependent. Sigh, back to work
              Yes, you can do that in the architect's file; do that in all the main views, and then, in the host file, use VG > Custom > By linked view.

Comment

You can put a Filter in YOUR model, that WILL filter the Linked Model. ive got an FFE package right now with a Linked in Model, and we have Filters running on the Linked Model all day long, without Linked Views, and without ever opening the Linked File to put anything in it. If its not working, you should post up the Filter dialogue box and criteria settings so we can troubleshoot...
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                  You can put a Filter in YOUR model, that WILL filter the Linked Model....
                  How do you create filters from the host model that affect the visibility of elements in the linked model?

Comment

Since 2011 Filters in your view have been able to affect items in the Linked Model, without doing anything special. I think there are some soft limitations to what you can filter by, or for, but they work just like normal.

For instance, in our FFE file we are doing all of the REAL Furniture layout for the space, but the Architectural Project model has Pews in it, that we dont want to show. In the FFE model we made a Filter for Furniture Catagory, Type Name contains "Pew" and we turned them green (to validate the selection), and then we unchecked the visibility box, and they all turned off. Works fine over here in 2011 and 2012...
                    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment