Windows login for Revit Username?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows login for Revit Username?

With our slow-to-start adventures in Worksharing picking up speed, I've noticed an odd thing with the Revit username; in that Revit only stores one, regardless of your login. I'm not imagining it am I?

It seems a complete nonsense, certainly in an office where people desk swap (when people are away there are patterns of movement toward the faster computers!) - so I've had a bit of a google, and found THIS, THIS and THIS that suggest the solution.

Has/does anyone do the same?

It seems a bit silly that (if it does work) I'll have to edit every computer's Revit .ini file!?!

I also don't want to lock out people from using Revit to drive edits to the .ini file - I just did that to myself at home when I downgraded my standard login to a "Standard User" and found none of personalisation settings, not even folder locations, could be saved with such low-level access, and that, I'm afraid, is just plain stooopid.

Maybe I just want to have a moan, but it smacks of another "creating a feature in a product that'll keep certain people in employment" - I mean seriously, really? Customising an .ini post install? Seems a bit backward. Sure, there'll be arguments to do it prior to creating a deployment - fine, but make it a GUI-based configurable option at the very least!

It's things like this, like the utter clusterfudge of folders & files Autodesk insist on spewing everywhere on a system drive, that make we wonder if Autodesk have forgotten that their core market (for Revit) is a professional demographic of technophobic artists - not IT nerds. :banghead:
    Last edited by snowyweston; July 27, 2011, 11:17 AM.

I think your problem will go away with 2012 since a lot of stuff gets moved to your profile. Although i haven't checked it yet.

Comment

Our office has a login script that runs at.. well.. login... that replaces the Revit.ini file. This method runs very quickly and silently behind the sceens. The users can still screw it up by editing the username from within Revit but they will have to do this every time they login.
      -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Our office policy is to NOT use the Windows log-in for Revit user name. We use first initial and last name for all Revit user names.
        Works for us, we've had confusion with users in 3 offices on Revit Server working on the same projects and this cleared everything up.

We encourage users NOT to use "musical chairs" and switch workstations, for many reasons other than Revit as well.

Just our experience.
        Cliff B. Collins
        Registered Architect
        The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
        Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Alex, how do your Reviteers create their own locations/shortcuts and customise their grip/selection colours, etc if you reset everything at login? Do they not find that restrictive?

Cliff, I like the theory (I even like the concept of prefixing the phone extension I saw suggested once) - but the reality is we have a mixed bag of hardware, and jobs that have people doing tasks other than Revit (imagine!) that means desk swapping as a sound means to divide (available) resources.

Of course, if people just checked their Revit before setting to work this wouldn't be an issue - but that'd be asking too much!

Comment

The Revit.ini file is now stored in the Users Profile directory, so there is no issue with people playing musical chairs. We encourage people to move around the office, and we move them every time a project team changes. Juxtaposition helps lead innovation, we see benefits from it day in and day out.

BTW- If you dropped the attitude in the first post, and read many of the numerous posts out there depicting how to properly deploy 2012, youd find that: A. you can customize the Revit.ini BEFORE installation, and it will then MIMIC that ini file for each user, and STILL let them edit it. Then, from a management point of view, you can WRITE OVER their INI file if necessary (update one INI file per machine and it will wipe out all of the ones in Users profiles) at will.

Its not the easiest solution ever, but its not an easy thing to solve.

BTW, we are using WindowsLogin-ComputerID. So that when people are logged in to multiple workstations they dont write over their own work.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
            @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

It has always been thus - by default, Revit uses the username of the first person logged-in to start up Revit on the machine. As long as this is understood, it is easily controllable. I have found it to be more useful than not when trying to correct the bad form of people who do not properly relinquish things in the model when they shut Revit down.

On a side note, I can completely inderstand the "attitude" in OP. I sympathize. I empathize. I think it was well said. The "deployment" process for 2012 is an abomination. It was actually non-existent until about two weeks ago. I do not think any of us should have to google and read posts on internet forums to figure out how to properly deploy this software - we did all pay thousands of dollars for it, right? The solution presented by Autodesk is very far from being the easiest solution ever. They had a problem that they could not solve (this is all related to Citrix implementation) and decided to release the software anyway - without advising anyone of the defect or how to resolve it.

I am somewhere in between being a technophobic artist and an IT nerd (closer to the latter), but I can clearly recognize an inferior solution to a problem when I see it.
              Sorry for the rant.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                The Revit.ini file is now stored in the Users Profile directory, so there is no issue with people playing musical chairs.
                Now? As in 2012? Alas, we've not rolled it out yet. Sorry I should've stated this was a 2011 thing - so for us (sadly) the issue remains.

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                If you dropped the attitude in the first post, and read many of the numerous posts out there depicting how to properly deploy 2012, youd find that...
                I would have to do a lot more reading? Then what? Retain it all for myself and leave an office flailing upon my leave? Or do I add to my "to do" list and write another plain-English "howto" for the office? Or maybe I should try and cram yet more behind-the-scenes complexity into the already Revit-weary users?

Sorry, but I don't see how that's "attitude". In my mind, that's what I call practical thinking. There is nothing to be gained from opacity in methodology, save maybe job security for those who write & understand the "method".

Originally posted by jsnyder View Post
                Sorry for the rant.
                No thank you.
                Last edited by snowyweston; July 27, 2011, 05:09 PM. Reason: jsnyder got to the #7 post first!

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
                  Alex, how do your Reviteers create their own locations/shortcuts and customise their grip/selection colours, etc if you reset everything at login? Do they not find that restrictive?
                  Nope. Dont show them that stuff and they wont know what they are missing. Plus if they dont change things you can more eaisly help them remotly and walk them thru things on the phone.
                  -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
                    Nope. Dont show them that stuff and they wont know what they are missing. Plus if they dont change things you can more eaisly help them remotly and walk them thru things on the phone.
                    Ar, too late, I've some people working with black backgrounds! :banghead:

Comment