Automatic Wall Resizing Help Needed!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic Wall Resizing Help Needed!!!!

Hey all, I can't find any information on this anywhere and I feel like it must be a super simple process that I can't figure out.

I'm a teacher who currently teaches AutoCAD and Inventor and am switching one course over to Revit. For their first project, they are replicating a house they created earlier in the year. However, none of their dimensions are working out because of Revit's need to constantly resize every wall and snap it to fit it's desires. It's like arguing with a drunk person, no matter how hard I try, I'm not getting anywhere.

I've been locking dimensions in and pinning walls, and the lot. I'm getting through it, but it's painfully frustrating for a high school student and they're getting very frustrated when they draw a wall to 11' and come back after drawing 2 walls and the wall is now 10'9".

Is there a way to prevent this? Is there a way to turn this off?

Welcome to the forum!

Its hard to say whats going on, without having more information... But it sounds like something you or the students are doing is making a join occur, and that is changing the length of the original wall. This can happen, for instance, if:

1. You draw a wall 11 feet long
    2. You draw a perpendicular wall, at one end of the 11' wall, and your Location Line is set to Wall Centerline.
    3. The original wall will now appear longer than 11'.

In either case, you want to get to the root of whats happening, or just put a dimension on it and move it back. You dont want to be locking dimensions and pinning objects, to combat that problem, or you are going to end up with a much bigger headache than you have now.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

This headache can't possibly get any worse. We switched off of drawing from the centerline and moved to drawing from an interior edge. The kids (and myself) are being very cautious to not double our wall thickness by drawing to the wrong edge. The walls are simply changing sizes on their own. I don't have any other way to explain it. It doesn't even seem practical to me. Why would it ever adjust? If you input a command....you inputted that command for a reason.....not to just have the computer change it automatically on you.

Comment

When I am drawing out plans, I use detail lines with dimensions first to layout the plan then I place the walls aligned to those. Then I simply select all, filter everything but the detail lines and then delete.
        Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

A series of screenshots might help us to explain to you what is happening, when you are modeling.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
            When I am drawing out plans, I use detail lines with dimensions first to layout the plan then I place the walls aligned to those. Then I simply select all, filter everything but the detail lines and then delete.
            You draw everything twice?? There isnt a reason to do that, unless its an insanely complex shape. Just my two cents, but i would hate for someone (obviously new to revit) who is already frustrated with it, to think they have to draw the entire project twice, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by cernjj15 View Post
              Why would it ever adjust? If you input a command....you inputted that command for a reason.....not to just have the computer change it automatically on you.
              How are you building the walls? They shouldn't adjust unless you modify the wall type. I have seen people use extrusions for walls, is that what you are doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                You draw everything twice?? There isnt a reason to do that, unless its an insanely complex shape. Just my two cents, but i would hate for someone (obviously new to revit) who is already frustrated with it, to think they have to draw the entire project twice, LOL.
                Well, you put in grid lines for structural walls and create walls off of those. Kinda the same scenario.
                It's just something I used to suggest to people before they got familiar with how to place walls, modify their justification, use the space bar to flip and use the temp dimensions accurately.

Comment

Don't jump in the water if you can't swim. Use structural grids to lay out the extents of the building, you will need them later. Dimension to the grids. Align the walls to the grids by face of core. Create a level called "Top Plate", set the top constraint of your walls to "Top Plate".
                  Revitaoist
                  Last edited by Revitaoist; February 9, 2016, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I must be in the minority: I almost never draw grids or layout lines first, LOL. Still, whatever issue the OP has where walls are shifting or changing justification, is likely to continue. Im actually wondering if they are tapping on the spacebar as if it were the enter key in AutoCAD, and that is flipping walls about the location line after making a 90 degree joint, which would appear to change the length...

Comment