Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PDF to DWG./DXF. Free Converters - anyone recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDF to DWG./DXF. Free Converters - anyone recommend?

Anyone have any recommendations? Need to download a free very easy to use pdf to dwg/dxf converter that is safe on my computer.

I use Cute PDF for the onsie-twosie copies and PDF Creator for batch printing.
    I've use those two for years, and was pleased to see them both on the list when Ninite became a thing.

Oops. Sorry. Read your Subject backwards.
    Never mind.
    DaveP
    Last edited by DaveP; February 8, 2016, 07:08 PM. Reason: Wrong answer!
    Dave Plumb
    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

I didn't realise you could convert pdfs to dwg using cute PDF? I'm guessing this is easy to do? I can download cute pdf from adobe?

Comment

Last time I checked (a little over a year ago) there weren't very many choices to converting PDF to DWG & they all did basically the same thing; copy lines. You get a very dumb & sometimes (many times actually) incomplete drawings.
        No you cannot download Cute PDF from Adobe, any PDF to DWG converters you find will be 3rd party & some from rather unscrupulous characters.
        On the plus side, even if the drawing converted from PDF is incomplete, it's better than starting from scratch.
        Me, I request DWG's from the client & if they can't deliver, that's fine. As long as they know the drawings they request will take longer. I then convert the PDF to a TIFF (Tiff's work better in CAD than PDF's), lighten it up a bit as it is a image, & then draw over the top of the image. The client gets a 'not so pretty' set of drawings but that is what they wanted as they refuse to deliver DWG's for me to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by craiglarkin View Post
          I didn't realise you could convert pdfs to dwg using cute PDF? I'm guessing this is easy to do? I can download cute pdf from adobe?
          Oops. Sorry. Read your Subject backwards.
          Never mind. You can't.
          Dave Plumb
          BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Craig, I assume (this being a Revit forum) that your goal is to take a PDF, convert it to DWG, bring it into Revit and use it as the basis of a Revit model? If that's the case, you are MUCH better off just printing the PDFs, or perhaps converting them to PNGs and bringing them into Revit as a "reference" and then rebuilding everything from scratch. It may seem like using the DWG directly saves you time, but painful experience says every minute you "save" now will come back and bite you later when it is MUCH harder to address. Save yourself the pain and avoid "tracing" or the like, just build what you need from scratch.
            Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Anyone have any recommendations? Need to download a free very easy to use pdf to dwg/dxf converter that is safe on my computer.
              I've never seen a free PDF to CAD converter. There may be some but I'd be concerned about the quality of the conversion and whether they'd be free and fully functional forever. One converter that I've used in the past was created some years ago by Terry Dotson of Dotsoft (DotSoft Home Page - The Leading Developer of AutoCAD Add-on Utilities). It's not free but it works well with correctly printed PDF files. As with all things, Crap PDF = Crap CAD...
              I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

If you are expecting good CAD, forget about it. The only way that is possible is if the you are working with vector PDFs with the layer information. Even the expensive ones can't recreate information that is not in the PDF. IME, the work necessary to bring converted files up to snuff is not worth it. I'd recreate from scratch and do, as suggested earlier, it in Revit.

Comment