Renovation woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renovation woes

I'm not terribly familiar with renovation projects in Revit, and have a goofy condition happening that's driving me crazy. We have an existing building with multi-wythe masonry construction and tiny window openings. We are planning to add new insulation + studs to the interior side of the wall, demo the old tiny windows, and add new, larger window openings. I can't get the windows to cut through both the existing and new walls.

I understand that typically you can get a window, curtainwall, etc. to cut through two parallel walls by joining them together. This approach seems to work in locations where there isn't already an existing window opening. In places where there was an existing window opening, however, Revit leaves a piece of the new insulation wall in the same location as the old window opening. I can't find a way to get rid of it! The behavior seems to be the same regardless of whether I use a window or an embedded curtain wall. Any ideas? I'd rather not manually edit the profile or cut a bunch of openings in the new wall at this point...we're still early in schematics and chasing around the openings to match the windows will be a pain.
    Attached Files

1. Verify that your Phases are set correctly/Phase Filters in the view. Be absolutely sure that the existing elements are on Existing Phase, Demo elements get the "hammer" tool, and that new elements are on the New Construction Phase.

2. If all is correct above, and you still get the odd result, could you use "override graphics" and hide the piece of wall that should not appear?
    Or--apply a Filter to that object and then turn off its visibility with a View Template? These are "workarounds"---seems like something with Phases and Phase Filtering in the view is not quite right. That is a challenging situation no matter how you try to do it.....
    Last edited by cliff collins; July 26, 2011, 02:54 PM.
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Cliff. I think everything is set up correctly with phases and whatnot. It looks like the piece of wall is showing up in all new views...using VG to hide the piece of wall would be quite tedious, since it appears in all views, for all new windows in the project.

I was able to replicate the problem in a new, stripped down file with very basic components (see attached), so it doesn't seem to be a problem with just my particular model. Is there an easy step I'm missing?
      Attached Files

Comment

Here's the problem: when you join your new furring wall to the existing wall, the original window also cuts the new furring wall, but the new window does not.

So here's what I did: Move the curtain wall out of the original wall, disjoin the furring wall and the original wall, so that the original window doesn't cut the new wall. Demo the existing window, then join the automatic infill wall with the existing wall. Move your curtain wall back into place, and choose Cut, then select the curtain wall and the existing wall. Do the same thing with the curtain wall and the new furring wall. That should get you what you want. Just make sure to not join the furring wall and the existing wall, otherwise you get that extra little square again.

Now, you might run into some problems with doors, so at those locations, I'd suggest splitting the walls (both existing and new), so that you can join the new and existing wall, and the door will cut both. Otherwise you'd have to go in and manually override the wall sketch to get the opening to work right.

Hope that helps.

Arcturis
        BIM Manager
        Associate Architect

Comment

Ross,

Excellent explanation.
          If that works, you da man!

That was a doozzy............
          Cliff B. Collins
          Registered Architect
          The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
          Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

I edit the profiles of Existing walls, and manually place the WALL portion around the windows to get demolished in new work, so that there is a small piece of wall with the window in it. Then, i demolish that WALL (which takes the window with it). It works the way things do in the real world: When i demolish a window, there is a hole left in the wall.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
            @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Thanks Ross & Aaron! Adding small pieces of wall to demolish works like a charm...it's always bothered me that Revit automatically infills a window opening when it's demolished, when I often don't want it.

Comment