Linked model save times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linked model save times

We're having an interesting problem on one of our larger industrial projects that I wanted to get some opinions on. The job is about 900,000sf and split into arch, structural, MEP, industrial process equipment, and site, as well as a few outbuildings, and the main A/S/MEP files are all in the 180-250mb range, so reasonable sizes I think. Arch and MEP probably have 8-10 users in each file at a time and the other ones are 1 or 2 at most. All disciplines are in house but there has been one user in the MEP file remoting in from our Warsaw office. Recently during an issuance push the MEP model was seeing 30+ minute sync times while the other models are typically under a minute. As a fix, one of the mechanical engineers broke the live links for the arch and structural models and is saving static copies that they link in and update every other day. The sync times now are down to 3-5 minutes now, but none of us can figure out why breaking the live links would change the sync times at all. We also can't figure out why the Arch and structural models wouldn't be seeing the same issues if it was a linking issue.
    Has anyone ever seen this type of behavior before or have any other ideas of things to try? The engineers don't seem to mind maintaining the static file links, but I'd just assume not do anything that adds extra steps to the process.

STF link info.PNGSTF Link list.PNGSTF Save times.PNG
    Here is some data showing the changes in times and some of the links in the model. I'm sure all the cad links have something to do with it as well, but like a lot of other things, they haven't changed in the process.

Comment

I have had similar issues before with live linked models (Using revit server)
      I believe the delay is because every time the building model is changed, the MEP model sees a new linked model when you synch, and then updates ALL the space calculations. Or an alternative explanation is if you have schedules that show info from a large amount of elements in the linked model, that also get updated.
      It doesnt actually reload the linked model but I have found it definitely does something with it.

Thats my theory anyway but its hard to definitively pin down what is happening. I also solved the problem by having local copies of all the building models, updated at regular planned intervals, while the MEP model remained linked 'live' into other models without problems.
      "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment