Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unhosted Families versus Unhosted "Work Plane Based" families.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unhosted Families versus Unhosted "Work Plane Based" families.

So, its interesting: When you are using a Family Type parameter, they have to obey the same Hosting conditions. That is to say, if i make a Family with a Nested Family, and a FT parameter to select it (of the correct category), the only families that will show up as options are the ones that are contiguous, regarding "Work Plane Based" or NOT "work plane based."

In light of this, Work Plane Based seems to make sense for me, almost all of the time. I like the "quasi face based" nature of them, when families get made as unhosted and shouldve been Face based. So, ive made all of our seating families UH-WPB. However, now an issue rearing its ugly head is that WPB does NOT like to be mirrored, at all.

UH-WPB in a radial array encompassing a quarter or a half of the room, which is then grouped and mirroed about the CL of the room, rotates all of the chairs IN the array, as well as the array. The issue certifiably has NOTHING to do with the Group, NOTHING to do with the array, and NOTHING to do with the contraints, EXCEPT for the chair family being Work Plane Based. Ive verified it, so it has NOTHING to do with Mirroring a group. (I say this before the onslaught of "mirroring groups = bad" comments come in, because ive been successfully and efficiently mirroring groups for 5 years).

Its even more amusing, because when placing the chairs, the Work Plane selected was the Level of the view, so it shouldnt even have any issue mirroring the WPB families. What a suck fest.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

But i should clarify: If i tab down to JUSt the family (not the ArrayGroup, or the Big Group), of course it mirrors fine. HOWEVER, if i also go in the family and change it to be Non Work Plane Based, then the GROUPS mirror fine too. So what i meant is, its a product of Work Plane Based IN the Group, but that the Groups Mirror fine in this exact same condition, when Non-WPB is present.

Either way, it sucks.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

ehhhm, yeah it does. big time actually. Not that I use Groups a lot (my projects just aren't big enough) but I do (almost) always use WPB families. Did you contact Autodesk about this?
      Martijn de Riet
      Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
      MdR Advies
      Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

I *might* file an SR about it, but i have an SR open that is almost exactly 365 days old, and it deals with Nested Families, and WPB families losing their hosts when Arrayed (grouped). Its basically the exact same issue, and it remains opened with the status listed as a "functionality change request," so i dont know that i want to bother typing out another SR, since its been an insanely busy two weeks.

For now, ive moved ALL of our "seats" back to Unhosted, Non-Work Plane based, since they all need to be interchangeable in other families. What i *havent* tested yet, is i used WPB for the uppoer portions of Workstations, that are meant to be placed with the workstation as the top of the Desk Family, since i dont like trying to make Super Families for something with such a limitless number of combinations like workstations. However, WORKSTATIONS are something that get grouped and mirroed, and copied all the time. So if WPB functions as long as the WP is in the group, ill be okay. If the WPB kills the group-mirror functionality even WITH the WP in the group, im going to have to call no-joy, change the workstations, and get mad. At which point ill probably have to file the SR anyway.

Comment

Well, im in luck with the desks and the hutches. WPB (where the WP object is in the group) seems to work fine, so thats one less thing i have to work around.

Comment