Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skylight representation in planview

Hello everyone

I'm trying to get a skylight to show correctly in planview. Here's how i've got:
    Modeled a Generic Model of the skylight, then nested it in a Roof Based family and got that working the way i should.

Now for the plan representation, i want the skylight to be shown as an outline on the level below. I first thought the Lower Ref. Level was representing the level below the skylight. But the symbolic line i drew i the Roof Based family doesn't show up on the level below. The "funny" thing is, that they show on the roofplan..? If I draw model lines on Lower Ref. Level the entire window becomes visible on the level below..

Anyone got a tip on how to get things working?

Cheers guys..

In the View Properties, set the level above the floor plan (where the skylight is located) as Underlay.
    You'll now see the skylight greyed out.
    Select the Linework Tool (Modify Ribbon > View Tab > Linework command). Select the linetype in which you want to show the overhead skylight in (<Overhead>?). Now select the lines which you want to show.
    In the View Properties set the Underlay back to none.

Your Plan View will now show the outline in a dynamic manner, change the size or position of the skylight and it will auto-update.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Okay, thanks! That what I've been doing, just thought it would be if they showed up by them self to..
      You know what the Lower Ref. Level then are used for? I can't think of anything else then what i was trying to accomplice earlier..?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk
      Last edited by KimArndt; July 21, 2011, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Could you post the family, I'd like to give a few things a try...
        Martijn de Riet
        MdR Advies

Comment

Sure thing, will do first thing tomorrow.. :cheers:

Comment

This is the file in question.. The representation in plan should be just the outline or just any odd shape, but the skylight should still be visible in the roofplan..
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's the trick:
              Open the family Skylight.
              Open the nested family.
              Select all geometry, in the Properties click Visibility / Graphic Overrides. In the popup uncheck "When Cut in Plan/RCP".

The problem is that it's not that smart... In level 1 it "sees" part of the family on a lower plane, part on a higher plane. So the family must be cut and therefor shown in plan.
              Martijn de Riet
              MdR Advies

Comment

Okay great, will try that.. The best suggestion is still the Linework tool then? What a shame you can't predefine a representation on the level below that work properly..

Oh well, thanks for looking in to it anyways..

Comment

Nope, best solution is as described above, see the attached (did the first one in 2012 before noticing your file was from 2011). The trick is to go to the nested family and set the geometry in that family to not show "when cut in Plan/RCP". Now you can use Model Lines on the lower ref level without seeing the entire skylight.
                  Attached Files
                  Martijn de Riet
                  MdR Advies

Comment

Okay, misread your previous post.. But the family you posted still doesn't seem to work the way you describe it.. See the attached project file.. Level 1 sill show the entire skylight, where it should just show the outline made of Model lines..?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by KimArndt; July 23, 2011, 06:34 PM.

Comment