Navisworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navisworks

How many hours would you estimate a new user needs to spend learning Navisworks if they are already advanced Revit users?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

About a day to be comfortable with the concepts.

Best thing is (?) I've found getting to know Navis (and programs like it) actually helps you understand, and make better decisions in, Revit.

Comment

In my humble opinion being a Revit user wont help you learn Navisworks, at all.

To get in there and just move around, id say Snowy has the gist of it with a single day. To actually get in there and do coordination? Id say a week or two, of dedicated reading and practicing, and learning what to do and what not to do. Just figuring out how you want your Revit files put IN to navisworks, can take a few days. (Tip: Appending the RVT sucks. And exporting the whole model together sucks too).
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Learning the software is not difficult, it is convincing the design team that we all have to abide by rules for clash detection that gets interesting. Meaning, a clash detection follow up model should, in theory, not find the same clash twice. If the clash detection is performed between the design models, do the consultants actually know how the contractor will install the elements. Are the families constructed properly so you don't have issues with exporting to .nwc,...this includes all of the design models. Will you be setting up clash detection meetings to go over model issues and so on. Do you hold everyone liable for major or minor clashes or both. The questions go on and on.

Oh,..think 'Search Sets'
        Bettisworth North

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
          Appending the RVT sucks. And exporting the whole model together sucks too.
          I'd have to agree with that. We struggled a lot with integrating Navis into our workflow because the Clash Reports were just too overwhelming.
          Then we tried creating one 3D View cropped (Section Box) to one Floor in each of the models. Makes the Clash reports much easier to deal with.
          I'd love the ability to run a Clash Report in Navis using a Section Box. "By Level" doesn't really help with vertical Duct runs.
          Dave Plumb
          BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

After spending some time working with Mason (NavisBro on this forum) ive changed my thinking on a lot of things related to exporting, after watching him work through many Coordination Meetings. I now have about fifteen different views that all get exported individually, with different things visible in each view. Makes for a MUCH easier time in Navisworks.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

After spending some time working with Mason (NavisBro on this forum) ive changed my thinking on a lot of things related to exporting, after watching him work through many Coordination Meetings. I now have about fifteen different views that all get exported individually, with different things visible in each view. Makes for a MUCH easier time in Navisworks.
              Nice! I will have to try the multiple view idea and weigh it against imported search sets that are already set up. I hope that I am understanding the workflow you are describing correctly.
              Bettisworth North

Comment

I still use imported search sets that are set up in the XML... But for different things. One of these days we will have to g2m (or i can come visit, ha!) and i can show you the setup i have here. =)

Comment

I still use imported search sets that are set up in the XML... But for different things. One of these days we will have to g2m (or i can come visit, ha!) and i can show you the setup i have here. =)
                  Sounds great Aaron. Always looking to improve our Revit capabilities.
                  Bettisworth North

Comment

We somehow ended up with the low end version of Navis that is unable to perform clash detection. So all it does for me is convert my Revit models into a rather amusing early 2000's video game.

My understanding of Revit did not assist in speeding up my understanding of the functions in Navis. It all depends on what you want to do with Navis, I'd agree with Aaron and say a couple of weeks is required to really make use of the software.

Comment