Laying out Floor Joists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laying out Floor Joists

Im making a framing plan (3D) this way it shows the joist on all sections.
    How do I trim the joist on an angle?
    and what should I use for Rim joist? (the one that goes all around on the outside)

Im using TJI Floor Joist by the way.

Could you elaborate with some pics?
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Sorry im can't upload the picture, its given me a security error.
      Im using the beam tool to place a joist (TJI 11 7/8") down.
      I need to cut the end of that joist at 45 degree angle.
      How would I do that?

Comment

Reference planes.

Go to a section and draw a reference plane. I'd name it too so you know why it's there later.
        Make sure the joist goes PAST the reference plane. Then use the cut tool. You can cut all of your joists on one side to the same reference plane.

For the rim joist, I'd either use nominal lumber (say a 2x12 or however tall your TJI joist is), or create a family so it looks like the rim joists TJI uses.
        Dan

Comment

Thanks that worked nice.
          Now for the rim joist I tried that but the joints dont clean up the right way where its on an angle.
          For the rim joist I created a wall with the lumber material and went all around the foundation.
          what do you think of that?
          Originally posted by dzatto View Post
          Reference planes.

Go to a section and draw a reference plane. I'd name it too so you know why it's there later.
          Make sure the joist goes PAST the reference plane. Then use the cut tool. You can cut all of your joists on one side to the same reference plane.

For the rim joist, I'd either use nominal lumber (say a 2x12 or however tall your TJI joist is), or create a family so it looks like the rim joists TJI uses.

Comment

The floor isn't level? Sounds like something I'd build. :laugh:

If using a wall works, I'd do it. You can also use look into using the fascia tool. It's not just for fascia's. Create a profile, go around the perimeter with model lines, and use the fascia tool.
            Dan

Comment

Make yourself a structural beam family and set its material properties type to concrete (trick) and it will all join nice and clean.
              Attached Files
              Mark Balsom

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Comment

There's always that. :laugh:

I was trying to remember that trick, but couldn't quite figure out what it was. :thumbsup:
                Dan

Comment

Thanks for the file
                  Originally posted by mark b View Post
                  Make yourself a structural beam family and set its material properties type to concrete (trick) and it will all join nice and clean.

Comment