Repeating Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeating Details

Does anybody use them? I've never seen anyone use or mention using them.

Are they from another, earlier time in Revit?

I use them for brick and block sections. Do you know something I don't?? :laugh:
    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by B Arch View Post
      Does anybody use them? I've never seen anyone use or mention using them.

Are they from another, earlier time in Revit?
      We used to use them, but im slowly switching them all out for Line Based Detail Components, which are far more capable.
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

We soon will be, not because there's anything new that we've been waiting for, but because they take a (small) while to set up and we've been pretty slow to take up that side of detailing, but in my opinion they're a fantastic tool - they just need the (user) input to get right (for your firm). I've done my own trials, and the (graphical) results speak for themselves.

My only advice is to take the OOTB system family template file, play with those, then adapt them to suit your needs.

EDIT
        Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
        We used to use them, but im slowly switching them all out for Line Based Detail Components, which are far more capable.
        Interesting. I may well look at the difference between the two methods next week when I've some time.

Any elaboration on why one's better than the other? I've been thinking recently of using them (repeating details) for stylised diagramatic work in plan views lately, instead of over-complicated workarounds with railings, but maybe Line Based Detail Components will offer a better solution.
        Last edited by snowyweston; July 14, 2011, 09:00 PM.

Comment

We have used them, but, like Aaron, are also switching to Line Based Detail Components because repeating details don't keynote.

But... does anyone know how to delete repeating detail types besides Purge Unused? I can't find them in the project browser.
          Mia Frietze
          LPA, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by mfrietze View Post
            But... does anyone know how to delete repeating detail types besides Purge Unused? I can't find them in the project browser.
            This has been one of my main concerns, since they're system families, and I'd rather not have to have my template pre-loaded so heavily.

The fact that they don't keynote is a revelation to me also (as I've not thought to dig into them that deep yet) so the promise of a loadable family being keynote-able (as well as being loadable from a library) has further led me to believe the LBDC alternative might be the better option. Again, something to test on Monday!

Comment

They dont keynote, they cant have intelligent mitering end conditions, then are a one trick pony and can only use one detail component per definition, you cant snap to reference planes in the individual detail components, you cant asside seperate identity data for the overall parent versus the nested details, you cant tell the nested detail component to derive any data (sizes, for non modular things that vary and need sizing by EQ), AND they dont keynote.

Repeating Details were a great concept, but remember: There WAS no Line Based Detail Component pre-2008 or 9.1. They became useless the moment those hit the streets.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                They dont keynote, they cant have intelligent mitering end conditions, then are a one trick pony and can only use one detail component per definition, you cant snap to reference planes in the individual detail components, you cant asside seperate identity data for the overall parent versus the nested details, you cant tell the nested detail component to derive any data (sizes, for non modular things that vary and need sizing by EQ), AND they dont keynote.

Repeating Details were a great concept, but remember: There WAS no Line Based Detail Component pre-2008 or 9.1. They became useless the moment those hit the streets.
                LOL, they're like a caterpillar... all fun to watch but then they cocooned and emerged as LDBC's... Come to think of it, I did use them a lot once upon a time long ago, but never after I discovered the LDBC. That was around 2008-2009 so that timeline would fit.
                Martijn de Riet
                Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                MdR Advies
                Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment