Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corner Panel

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Corner Panel

    Dear all,
    How would you advice doing a corner part as shown in the picture? Is it supposed to be a new family panel, or one could adjust panelization options in curtain wall? Also, which type of curtain wall would you advice to use, and how would you approach subdividing it?

    Regards,
    Petarphoto (10).JPG

    #2
    First question to ask yourself is do I really need them as individual panels? Do I have to quantify the number of panels? We typically do these with a wall type that is the Aluminum Composite Panel, then use a face based "joint" family to create the panel joints(its the depth of the panel and has an optional joint filler material for panels that get a sealer in the joints. This lets us have a single exterior finish wall, the corners join nicely, looks good in sections, etc. Since composite wall panels are mfr. specific, each has specific attachement details etc. so I don't see a need to model the panel perfect to a specific. mfr. Just make the wall have the appropriate thicknesses per layer.

    Now if you answer yes, you do have to schedule individual panels or something like that, then you will need to create yourself a library of curtain wall or generic model panel families for corner panels, straight panels, sill panels, etc. This gets to be a chore. Note the face based joint family approach lets you create ceilings with the same structure as the finish wall and add the joints to the ceiling too.

    So bottom line is creating the panel families, while attractive and possible will take signficant time to create and place and swap out and isn't very designer friendly.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by pjetrus View Post
      Dear all,
      How would you advice doing a corner part as shown in the picture? Is it supposed to be a new family panel, or one could adjust panelization options in curtain wall? Also, which type of curtain wall would you advice to use, and how would you approach subdividing it?

      Regards,
      Petar[ATTACH=CONFIG]23537[/ATTACH]
      Just create a custom panel that extends on the side... I've done the same when I had custom panels that wrapped inwards at entrys and such. It works great if the wraparound is reference plane to reference plane (in the family)...if you try to stop it short or extend it, it usually breaks. But from your pic, it should be pretty straightforward.
      Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by pjetrus View Post
        Dear all,
        How would you advice doing a corner part as shown in the picture? Is it supposed to be a new family panel, or one could adjust panelization options in curtain wall? Also, which type of curtain wall would you advice to use, and how would you approach subdividing it?

        Regards,
        Petar
        I do ACM and plate panel projects where I need to schedule each individual panel size, flange types/sizes, perimeter extrusion types/lengths, etc. This is a screen shot of my typical corner panel. As Scott says, it can be a chore to set this up initially. But once you do you've got them forever for every future project.
        I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

        Comment


          #5
          Guys thank you a lot for comments. I would like to try creating it as a specific panel family, since there is a possibility where schedule is required. I have pretty good idea how to create corner curtain wall panel, however, I am stuck when I need to add offset parameter on borders (for the gap between panels). Any advice would be much appreciated.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by pjetrus View Post
            Guys thank you a lot for comments. I would like to try creating it as a specific panel family, since there is a possibility where schedule is required. I have pretty good idea how to create corner curtain wall panel, however, I am stuck when I need to add offset parameter on borders (for the gap between panels). Any advice would be much appreciated.
            layout center line of joint ref planes then use a panel family like this that has "half joint" parameters. Accommodates any size caulking joint or gap between panels and can have a different value at each side of each panel if desired. Like this
            I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

            Comment


              #7
              Thank you for a quick reply. One more thing, if one has a corner panel, how do you access the 'area' 'height' and 'width' parameters of that family? I am asking this since schedule is not calculating it correctly.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by pjetrus View Post
                Thank you for a quick reply. One more thing, if one has a corner panel, how do you access the 'area' 'height' and 'width' parameters of that family? I am asking this since schedule is not calculating it correctly.
                for width it's just Mod_X1_Width is one side and Mod_X2_Wid is the second side then calculate the net panel width on each side by Mod_X1_Wid - Half_Jnt_Left and do the opposite for the right side. Height is simply Mod_Y1_Hgt less Half_Jnt_Top or Bottom for net panel height. Area would be net width of the left side + net width of the right side x net height. Easy Peasy
                I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

                Comment


                  #9
                  I would suggest looking at part this is exactly the kind of thing they are for. Model as a wall then break into parts and add cuts where there are joints. It will even then allow you to schedule, quantify these panels through parts and assemblies.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X