This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exporting Views

I've been converting our AutoCAD standard details to Revit and finally got the okay to deploy them to our library. There are a lot of them and I did it all in one file. It's now time for final clean up and saving each view to individual files.

Is there any utility that can do them in batches instead of one at a time?

You can insert views, and entire sheets of details, from one Revit project into another, so there's no need to separate out the details into individual files.

Arcturis
    BIM Manager
    Associate Architect

Comment

Actually, there is. I've been instructed to do so.

IMHO, keeping them all in one file is risky. I was just helping out someone in another forum that almost lost his entire library by inadvertently saving over the file.
      RobDraw
      Last edited by RobDraw; September 11, 2015, 01:10 PM.

Comment

You can crack a walnut with an iPhone, but that's not really the best use of the technology.

Put the file in a write-protected directory; problem solved. You're creating a world of hurt for yourself, not to mention hundreds of hours worth of work every year when you have to upgrade all those files, if you try and separate each detail into a separate file.

Arcturis
        BIM Manager
        Associate Architect

Comment

Originally posted by rosskirby View Post
          You can crack a walnut with an iPhone, but that's not really the best use of the technology.

Put the file in a write-protected directory; problem solved. You're creating a world of hurt for yourself, not to mention hundreds of hours worth of work every year when you have to upgrade all those files, if you try and separate each detail into a separate file.
          Once again, it's not my decision. The person that will be doing the upgrades has directed us to use separate files. He has done this before, so I'm sure he has his reasons. If you would like to talk to him, I'll ask him to contact you.

In the mean time, can we get back to the topic?

Comment

The "topic" is exactly what Ross is talking about. A Revit "file" ( .rvt ) is NOT the same idea as an AutoCad "file" ( .dwg). It sounds like your "superior" is using an old-school ( or inexperienced in Revit) mentality by insisting on placing each detail in a single .rvt. I can tell you from my expierience in using Revit since Release 1 back in 2000 that this is the WRONG way to do it--for the reasons Ross mentions above.

But go ahead if you want, and over time you will see the light and place all your details in a single .rvt project, located on a write-protected file server, which gets backed up properly.
            Cliff B. Collins
            Registered Architect
            The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
            Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Again, it is not my decision and just to put this side issue to bed. The final library will be trade specific files with multiple views. The person creating them just prefers to start with separate files for his process.
              RobDraw
              Last edited by RobDraw; September 11, 2015, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cliff collins View Post
                The "topic" is exactly what Ross is talking about. A Revit "file" ( .rvt ) is NOT the same idea as an AutoCad "file" ( .dwg). It sounds like your "superior" is using an old-school ( or inexperienced in Revit) mentality by insisting on placing each detail in a single .rvt. I can tell you from my expierience in using Revit since Release 1 back in 2000 that this is the WRONG way to do it--for the reasons Ross mentions above.

But go ahead if you want, and over time you will see the light and place all your details in a single .rvt project, located on a write-protected file server, which gets backed up properly.
                The topic is exporting multiple views to single files but no one has addressed that.

Comment

Please feel free to have him contact me. I'll be glad to explain why he's setting himself up for failure.

But if it's failure he wants, here's how to get it. Take your single file with all the details, go to R --> Save As --> Library --> Views, check the box for one of the details, click OK, choose a file location and a descriptive name, then click OK. Repeat this process once for each and every detail you have in that file. Oh, and make sure to keep a written list nearby with each of the views that you have/haven't exported, just in case you miss one.

Arcturis
                  BIM Manager
                  Associate Architect

Comment

Still not answering my question.

Why are you so stuck on the process?

I asked a simple question. Please refer to my OP about a batch process and answer the question or back away, please. I am aware of how to save a view to a file. I have already explained that the final product will be a library file with multiple views in it. I did not know that before.

Comment