Vray for Revit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vray for Revit

I was not fortunate enough to attend RTC this year. I am seeing a lot of buzz about Vray for Revit which is very exciting to me. Can anyone tell me when the anticipated release date is? Will it work with the cloud?

Worh with what cloud?
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
      Worh with what cloud?
      There's a couple of services that offer Vray render farms 'in the cloud'. So you can setup your file locally with Vray, and then submit it to the cloud service when it comes time to render the hires version. I don't know enough about Vray, but I know with the Octane Render Plugin you can export out your Revit scene as a Octane file that can be opened in the stand-alone version of the rendering engine and then farmed out.

I'd love to know as well if the Revit Vray plugin would allow for something like that!
      Jeffrey McGrew
      Architect & Founder
      Because We Can, a Design-Build Studio
      Check out our new sister company Model No. making sustainable 3D printed furniture!

Comment

Can you move around in Vray? I finally tried the demo from RTC (Figured out why my phone stopped downloading apps)...pretty cool looking. But I think I'd rather have the Oculus add-in for Revizto...
        Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
          Can you move around in Vray? I finally tried the demo from RTC (Figured out why my phone stopped downloading apps)...pretty cool looking. But I think I'd rather have the Oculus add-in for Revizto...
          No, Vray is a rendering engine, not a game engine.

Rendering Engine = produces static images or animations (one image at a time), but of really high quality and accuracy.

Game Engine = lets you walk around "in the model" but with less image quality and no real accuracy (i.e. the lighting is all fake).

Vray has been around forever and can produce really great results quickly, esp. for interior scenes.
          Jeffrey McGrew
          Architect & Founder
          Because We Can, a Design-Build Studio
          Check out our new sister company Model No. making sustainable 3D printed furniture!

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
            Worh with what cloud?
            The Autodesk 360 rendering service. I've also received emails from Archvision advertising Vray RPCs, which left me wondering if this Vray add-in will be sn option as renderer for the Autodesk cloud rendering service.

Also, does anyone know an estimated release date?

Comment

Doubt it. A360 is an Autodesk service. VRay is a competitor to the Mental Ray engine Revit currently uses. I would not expect Autodesk to allow a competing service on its servers.
              Greg McDowell Jr
              about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Agreed. Chances are it won't be running in the a360 cloud at all. Just an assumption though.
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Ditto on the other two replies. Autodesk is in the middle of a transition from Mental Ray to its own Raytracer rending engine for the desktop installed versions of Revit. The cloud uses its own engine. As an add-in the only place I can see it (Vray) being available is on the desktop.

Comment

Of course nothing is stopping Chaos Group from making it's own cloud rendering solution for Revit but I think it more likely that they might look for a way to network render (as they currently do in other implementations of VRay). I don't know if that's possible though.
                    Greg McDowell Jr
                    about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment