X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legends & Schedules

Hey everybody I have a question.
    Ill try to break this down first..
    I created a wall type legend that contained all the information required to be in the project, wall tags, descriptions, FRR, STC, building code requirements as well as an image of the walls, I inserted these as a legend type components. After I had set up my columns and had it all neat and organized my supervisor came to me with a concern. in order to change anything in the legend it would require someone to go in and manually change the text. personally I don't see the problem with this but he is concerned that most people wont take the time and effort to go through and make those changes, he would like to set up the legend as a schedule instead, this way if a wall is added or deleted from the project it will automatically be removed or added to the schedule. the problem is my supervisor wants the schedule to look the same way that my legend looked. with equal columns and an image of the assembly. (wall, floor, roof.. which ever it may be..) I know I can insert an image into schedules however I cannot seem to be able to add an image of the model its self like I can with a legend. I would call this a living image, if something changes in the project it updates itself in the legend.. is it possible to do this with schedules? or can I somehow create a legend that will function like a schedule?

personally I don't think it is possible,:crazy: but I feel like I should entertain the idea..you never know

regards

The only thing that I found that would allow you to tag legend components with parameter information is the Tools4Revit: Dynamic Legends extension.

Otherwise you could create a design option or workset that essentially contains each of your modeled wall types that are tagged and annotated with the various parameters you would like to be scheduled. Essentially make a live fake schedule/legend
    Last edited by dtp81390; July 28, 2015, 03:39 PM.
    Denis Pohlman, AIA, NCARB, WELL AP, CPHC
    Architect + BIM Coordinator
    Kahler Slater, Inc.

Comment

awesome thanks,
      I just checked it out on google. that looks like exactly what I need.. I have to see how they feel about installing this add on.

Comment

on second thought maybe not... I just tried the trial version and I cant seem to be able to achieve my goal.

Comment

I would recommend searching for the *Previous Phase Legend* or the *Design Option Legend* workaround, and bailing on Revit Legends entirely.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

so with a "previous phase legend" will I be using 3d items that are modeled in place? in other words will there be a possibility that I will see these walls in 3D or other views if I do not set the phasing properly?

Comment

Yep. But if you demolish them properly, its pretty hard to accidentally see them.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

... I have to say I am not too crazy about the idea of having additional modeled items in my project. it seems like a decent solution but it has a lot of potential for error as well and doesn't seem to be very "user friendly" according to what my supervisor is looking for..
                these are all great replies. keep'em coming

Comment

Originally posted by bearstalker View Post
                  ... I have to say I am not too crazy about the idea of having additional modeled items in my project. it seems like a decent solution but it has a lot of potential for error as well and doesn't seem to be very "user friendly" according to what my supervisor is looking for..
                  these are all great replies. keep'em coming
                  It is a lot easier than trying to deal with the Legend tool as it exists in Revit now. You are able to tag, keynote and dimension the actual object that you are dealing with instead of the legend - which is really a representation of the actual object.

There is some planning involved with either the DO or Previous Phase but it really does make life easier.
                  Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
                  BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

I do understand what you guys are saying but I would see this to be more useful on a door or window legend where you would want to dimension & tag the items, I just need an image for the wall legend/schedule that will show the basic construction (like it does as a legend component) and again I really don't want there to be a pile of 3D items modeled in place

Comment