Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof layers modification

Hi,

Is there any way I can model a roof and allow layers to be extended as you can with a wall.

For example I need the structure of the wall to continue over as shown with the red lines. But the grey part beneath the structure needs to stay where it is (i.e. not project)

Is there any way to do this? Maybe not with a roof but with another element?

Your picture isn't showing, but I would probably use two different roofs if the extents of the materials are different.
    Julie Kidder
    Architect + BIM Director
    Hartman + Majewski Design Group

Comment

I'm unable to see the picture you attached, but based on what you described, you may want to try the roof fascia tool. You can assign a custom profile to the fascia element and adjust the vertical/horizontal offset to achieve some sort of extension for any particular roof layer. Hope this helps.

Capture.JPG
      Tony Perez @Twitter
      Senior Structural Designer
      Tesla Gigafactory - Austin

Comment

You could also model each roof layer separately. Probably best to use roof by extrusion in this case. Make one, copy it up, change type, repeat. Once you have all your layers you can edit the roof and extend the layers however you want. Also has the advantage of using different cuts on the end.

Comment

Thanks all for the reply, I did manage to get a resolution.
          Been a while since I logged on here.

Comment

Originally posted by gioginnelli View Post
            Thanks all for the reply, I did manage to get a resolution.
            Been a while since I logged on here.
            What was your resolution? Were you able to keep to one roof? having 2 roofs causes issues when you have a velux window or a dormer and you need to perform2 roof cuts.

Comment

It would be very handy to have roofs able to have the equivalent of wall base extension distance.
              Motorbike riding is one long bezier curve

Comment

Originally posted by Knitro87 View Post
                I'm unable to see the picture you attached, but based on what you described, you may want to try the roof fascia tool. You can assign a custom profile to the fascia element and adjust the vertical/horizontal offset to achieve some sort of extension for any particular roof layer. Hope this helps.

If you were looking to extend the roof sheet past the edge of the rafters for example so that water could properly run off into the drain, is the only method to model the sheets as a separate roof? Doesn't sound right does it?

Comment

Thats what i do. One roof mass for the raftrs/truss and one roof mass for the sheet/tile. Then hang the sheet over gutter.
                  Motorbike riding is one long bezier curve

Comment