Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revit API support custom popup dialog box creation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revit API support custom popup dialog box creation?

Is there a way to create a custom dialog popup window that you could put disclaimer language into when sharing a file with a 3rd party? I would like to create something so when a 3rd party opens a shared model, the first thing that popups up before they can look at the model is a dialog box that must be read and a button to accept before being allowed to view it. Does the Revit API support something like this?

Currently we use Revit 2010, 2011, and 2012 on various projects.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Chuckeg1 View Post
    Is there a way to create a custom dialog popup window that you could put disclaimer language into when sharing a file with a 3rd party? I would like to create something so when a 3rd party opens a shared model, the first thing that popups up before they can look at the model is a dialog box that must be read and a button to accept before being allowed to view it. Does the Revit API support something like this?

Currently we use Revit 2010, 2011, and 2012 on various projects.

Thanks!
    Even if it does, it would be a function of the "Function," and not the file itself. Meaning: You would have to install it on the recipients machine, since its not part of the "Model," but part of the "Program."
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Right. See API Programming as external additions to revit. Sharing the Project will not share add-ins. apart from this. Yes it's easy, but you would not want to do it.
      [email protected]

http://4revit.com

Comment

In theory you could pack the Revitfile in a executable file which also automatically installs the addin. Two problems:
        - A lot of your clients would have IT-guys freaking out because of the security breach. If the file would execute in the first place, which I doubt.
        - Morally and legally wrong, you cannot tamper with other peoples pc's.

Why not send them (or the downloadlink) by email and include the waver there? Opening the file and working with it implies they also saw the waver...
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thank you for the responses. I was thinking of an ftp type scenario. Maybe another way to do it would be to create a splash screen view and save it on that screen before sharing.

Comment

Or you could create a new legend within the project/model, include your disclaimer as plain text, insert the legend on an empty sheet (just for spicing the plain text up a little), the go to the manage ribbon, under 'Manage Project' tick the Starting View, and set the legend or sheet as the first thing you see. Also make this sheet the preview screen via save as --> project --> options... --> source.

And before I get in trouble with the first attachment, copyright belongs to the makers of the RFO plugin. :thumbsup:
            Attached Files
            Arjan Ikink, BIM-engineer at PHB Deventer
            LinkedIn

Comment