Splitting a model into several models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting a model into several models

The project I'm working on was initially create by an outside company and everything was modeled in the one central file. Over the last few weeks as the model progressed and has become more detailed we've slowly been approaching 200mb. As it is I don't have any slow down or problems but I have a pretty new desktop thats got plenty of power, however not everyone on the team has as new a pc as myself.

Is there a workflow for splitting up part of the model so it can be worked on separate to the main building? Essentially we have an office block and a residential construction with some existing.

I've copied the existing out already and by saving the main model, deleting as much of the model I didn't need and then bind in the left over model ellements, this caused some unexpected things to make their way into the model and I abandoned it.

There must be a better way or some sort of workflow to doing this?

I would personally leave it in one file. It makes workflows much easier. If the model is kept neat and tidy, the file size wont affect the working team negatively. The largest i have right now is 1.2GB, and its smooth sailing. If it starts to experience slowdown, its more than likely due to errors or something unhappy in the model, than having to do with the file size itself.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

We are already experiencing some workflow issues and annoyances after the existing building was split out and modeled on it's own. There are some errors in the model and some bad families that need sorting out. I have always been led to believe slow down will be experienced once the model size starts creeping past the 200mb mark? The only real downside to it is that uploading a 150-200mb file can take a little while.

No splitting into different files anyway for the time being!

Comment

2-100 MB files take the same amount of time to upload as 1-200MB file. Dealing with split models is a pain on documentation..
        Aaron, I'd love a show and tell one day on how that model was done. We have someone that strongly believes that models hitting 200MB need to be split up for performance and to reduce possibility of corruption. I personally setup a project that has multiple models (7 arch) that are now approaching 300MB each. As far as I know it's still humming fine.
        Chris Heinaranta | Architectural Technologist

Comment

I'll have that model in DC in a couple of weeks, if you want to roll around in it. No secret tricks. Just very BASIC principles.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

I could see splitting up the models back when we had Windows XP....hasn't been an issue since Windows 7.
            Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

I'm not going to go ahead with it after realising the hassle even just tagging doors or windows, the mark needs to be set in the link and then picked up in the model and because the schedule is by level it needs to be a level with the same name etc....

I've also always been told about the 200mb thing, I never understood why and with 32gb of ram and a i7 I cant really see issues.

Strangely, the model last week was around the 150-190mb after I stripped out all the views and purged it, yesterday however it was down to 90ish mb. I've no idea what is different or what the reason behind it is.

Comment

It doesnt mean anything.

You probably did a save-as, or made a new central. It cuts the size in half because it strips out all of the backup data. It doesnt make it perform any better. I never do it.

Comment

Should have added, we detach from central and then strip out all views and sheets before purging and uploading. Same few steps and same view used

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                    I'll have that model in DC in a couple of weeks, if you want to roll around in it. No secret tricks. Just very BASIC principles.
                    I wish I was attending. I've gone back to being a Technologist so RTC or AU will likely not be in my future anymore.
                    I'm sure there is no secrets. You've been pretty open the past several years how to make things work. It's more to validate my assumptions than to peak around the wizards curtain
                    Chris Heinaranta | Architectural Technologist

Comment