Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elevations and Rooms - Are they Related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elevations and Rooms - Are they Related?

Solved a bizarre issue today, but don't exactly understand how I solved it. I'll try to explain the best I can.

Some background - using Revit 2014. Our upper cabinet casework uses two families. One is a generic 'block' that we drop in to represent the whole run of cabinets. The other is a face based 'sticker' for single, double, whatever. Looks like this - (offset for clarity).
    Upper.PNG

We have two almost identical rooms back to back, but one slightly different so I have to elevate both. See below - elevations A and B

Plan.PNG

Elevation A was working fine. In elevation B, the face based casework 'sticker' would NOT display lines on the cabinet mass. Tried everything, deleted, renamed, mirrored from room priv. 2... nothing worked. It looked fine in 3D but wouldn't work in elevation. Then, I dragged elevation A over into priv. 1, and it displayed correctly :crazy:. So I deleted B, remade it, still nothing.

Finally, I deleted room priv. 1, then elvation B. I remade B without a room in that space and it worked fine! So basically, the elevation would somehow be corrupt if I placed it while a room was in that space. So can anyone explain how a room can possibly affect an elevation placement? The only thing I can think of is the elevation must be reading the extents of the room and basing it's boundaries on that.

So if you have a cabinet that has Glass in the doors... The glass only shows up as an outline, since its just a... *sticker...?*
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Yes, that is correct. I personally don't like this system, FYI, it's really due for a complete overhaul.

Comment

Double check your elevation extents. Is B actually in the correct room? If you recreated it everything should be fine but...
        Attached Files
        Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
        BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

The extents were correct because I can see the backsplash and the door. And oddly enough, when I drag the sticker off the cabinet mass, I can see the lines that do not intersect the mass. I've tried flipping the orientation and picking a new work plane. Also, if I drag B into priv. 2, the other cabinet displays correctly....
          1.PNG2.PNG

Like I said, I found a fix, but I'm just wondering what could possibly cause this.

Comment

I hate to ask, but in that Face Based family... Are those Revit Model Lines, or Imported CAD? (Im asking because i have seen this behavior with CAD...)
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

Haha no problem. Not CAD - they are in fact model lines. The dashed shelves are a nested family in the sticker that allows us to specify 2, 3, 4 shelves etc.

Another thing is the sticker is a regular face based family, so the 'plan' plane in the family is actually the elevation plane in the project environment. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, figured I'd mention it.

Comment

I really think what happened is, its workplane selected the BACK face of the cabinet. Any chance of that?

EDIT: Nevermind. You said it looks right in 3D. Yeah, i think its something goofy. Not that that helps at all. But, i would use it to as an opportunity to build real cabinets, anyway...

Comment