Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aligning Material/Texture in Render

Hello everyone,

I have a project that the same material will be placed in different elements (walls, floors, etc). When I look at the 3D or try to render, the textures don't match, I tried the surface alignment, but it doesn't work. Is there a way to individually align each texture in each of these faces?

(Sorry about my English. It is not my native language).

Thanks
    Attached Files

Yep, in a 3D or elevation view, you can use the align command and align the patterns. You can pick a wall edge or a line on an adjacent surface pattern. For instance, use the align command and choose the line in the pattern on the bottom that you circled, then align the other pattern on top that you circled. It will kick the top pattern over to align with the bottom one. I hope that makes sense.

You'll probably need to tab through to get the lines you want to align.
    Last edited by dzatto; May 13, 2015, 03:14 PM.
    Dan

Comment

You'll need a Model Surface Pattern that matches the image in terms of scale/proportions/etc. in order to do what Dan is talking about.
      Greg McDowell Jr
      about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

also be a little wary with the bump maps in Revit, they don't always align with the surface map, even if they are the same.
        Ryan Taube
        BIM Manager - Clayco Construction | Lamar Johnson Collaborative

Comment

Hi all,

I have the same problem, and can't select the texture to align to the pattern?
          When I go into ceilings and select it the whole region blues out?

Capture 2.JPG

Comment

1. Firstly, in the material editor, check the size of your tile (image height & width).
            2. Create a crosshatch with the spacings you found in the step above.
            3. In the Material browser, switch the surface pattern to the one you just made.
            4. Click the texture alignment button, and align the bitmap to your pattern.

This is your handle to affect the texture bitmap.

5. In a 2D or 3D view (which ever best suits the surface you are adjusting, use the align tool to align to a corner, apron flashing, Head flashing, etc.
            6. Move around the building in a systematic fashion, aligning other faces' surface pattern to the previous aligned faces' pattern.

This will hopefully give you some kind of consistency and alignment.

Originally posted by GTeasdale View Post
            I have the same problem, and can't select the texture to align to the pattern?
            When I go into ceilings and select it the whole region blues out?
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]22999[/ATTACH]
            2 Options here.
            1. tab to select just the line of the surface pattern (not the whole geometry)
            2. Use the align tool

Hope this helps.
            Last edited by Tim West; August 18, 2015, 02:46 AM.
            I used to be high on life, until I realised it was cut with Morons.
            Combating ignorance daily through learning.

Comment

Thank you Tim,

Excellent advice!

I found that the texture map was 37mm (long dim), would be 1200mm each on the model, with 4 tiles indicated, should be 4800mm.
              Put this figure in the appearance/scale bit, then aligned the texture with pattern. Job done, Thanks again for the speedy response.

Texture Map.JPG

Comment

Hello All,

I am having a similar issue..
                I'm making new families and the surface patterns/render map are moving fine in the family (yes the surface patterns are model patterns). When I load the family into a project, the surface patterns will not move. I have tried loading in the same material/surface pattern as well as making a new material/surface pattern in the project and still the surface pattern will not move. When I try to align the surface pattern lines with the edge of the family, the whole family moves.
                The family behaves as if I have a pinned surface pattern (in project the family surface pattern has the pins grayed out). Any suggestions as to how to fix this? I cannot for the life of me figure out why the family works fine but when in a project it gets stubborn.
                Ideally I would like to be able to move to the surface pattern opposed to modifying the texture alignment (we have Revit newbies in the office who don't understand the chain effects of Revit and Revit materials yet).
                All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by apilkington View Post
                  Hello All,

I am having a similar issue..
                  I'm making new families and the surface patterns/render map are moving fine in the family (yes the surface patterns are model patterns). When I load the family into a project, the surface patterns will not move. I have tried loading in the same material/surface pattern as well as making a new material/surface pattern in the project and still the surface pattern will not move. When I try to align the surface pattern lines with the edge of the family, the whole family moves.
                  The family behaves as if I have a pinned surface pattern (in project the family surface pattern has the pins grayed out). Any suggestions as to how to fix this? I cannot for the life of me figure out why the family works fine but when in a project it gets stubborn.
                  Ideally I would like to be able to move to the surface pattern opposed to modifying the texture alignment (we have Revit newbies in the office who don't understand the chain effects of Revit and Revit materials yet).
                  All suggestions are greatly appreciated!
                  Families are isolated instances in the revit database, kinda like a linked file but with parametric functionality (mostly lol). Usually you'll need to edit a geometric family to move those model pattern lines.
                  What category/ family are you working with. If you can supply some more info, upload your family, or even screenshots...? maybe...we can help a bit more then.
                  There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment