Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link a DGN into Revit

Hi all,

I have an existing set of drawings in Microstations (DNG) format, and I would like to link these into Revit. I tried to link them in through the Link CAD command but there was an error that stated something to the effect of, 'Revit can only link Microstation v7 files into Revit'. So i tried importing the DGN into ACAD and then linking the DWG into Revit but they do not translate through.

I don't have Microstation so I can't back save to v7. Does anyone know if there is anyway to get these files into Revit?

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Sarah Foulkes

Not a Revit Robot

Solution: Attached the DGN to a DWG, Bound the XREF, explode and purged everything, and then linked the DWG into Revit.

I love when stuff works.

Thanks for your support in spirit,

Sarah
    Last edited by safoulkes; July 1, 2011, 08:39 PM. Reason: typo... whoops
    Sarah Foulkes

Not a Revit Robot

Comment

Sarah,

You can open DGN files with AutoCAD and save them as a DWG. DWG can be linked into Revit easily.

Secondly verify every single dimension in Revit. The DGN>DWG>Revit transition causes some very minor length errors. What is suspose to be 30'-0" will become 29'-11 13/256".
      -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Thanks for the responce, Alex. I may be missing something though. When I try to open the DGN file with ACAD 2012 I get an error: "Cannot find the specified file. Verify that the file exists". All I have been able to do with the DGN is attach it to a DWG, and then bind it. Only then does the file show up in a link to the Revit model.

I have noticed some strange dimensions. It's a consultant file so I didn't know if it was the conversion or just the way the existing building was drawn. So I'm glad you said something about that. Thanks for your help.

Best,
        Sarah
        Sarah Foulkes

Not a Revit Robot

Comment