Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotate command in 2012 new feature

Hi,

This might have been posted already (but it is very exciting )
    I didn't notice this before - you can now Place the centre point when rotating objects - look at the options bar. How good isn't that

J

It's not that exciting. To replace the center of rotation was always possible by simple dragging it. It's just one more click for the option button introduced.
    Last edited by dalmore; July 1, 2011, 07:09 AM.
    [email protected]

http://4revit.com

Comment

Jup, could always be done. Place your mouse over the rotation origin point, click and hold and drag the point to where you want it to be. Even snaps to other geometry.
      Martijn de Riet
      Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
      MdR Advies
      Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

I didn't realise that this was new - I thought that I just hadn't spotted it before

It is incredibly useful and a really thoughtful addition - much easier than dragging the centre, and when rotating say, a large dwg import you do not want to be searching for the rotation centre to be able to drag it.
        William Sutherland rias riba
        WS Architecture Ltd

Comment

I'm with jh & William on this. It think this is a very useful, and, yes exciting improvement.
          It saves you much more than just one click.
          Yes, you could drag the Center point before, but only if it was on the screen. If you are Zoomed into your View, or if you needed to Rotate something like a large DWG, you needed to:
          1. Pick the object
          2. Zoom out
          3. Find the Rotation icon
          4. Zoom In to the icon (so you don't accidentally pick something else)
          5. Click on the icon
          6. Drag
          7. Zoom out
          8. Keep dragging
          9. Zoom in to the point you want to place the icon
          10. Click to place the icon

With this new feature you:
          1. Pick the object
          2. Click the "Place Center button"
          3. Click to place the icon

Much simpler!
          Dave Plumb
          BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Looking forward to this feature.....comes in handy when your already zoomed in on something just to find out you have to zoom out...etc...exactly what Dave said..
            Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Try pressing the "space" bar at the start of a rotation. This will snap the rotation icon to your cursor without having to go all the way up to the options bar.
              Last edited by Scott Hopkins; July 1, 2011, 06:03 PM.
              Scott Hopkins AIA LEED AP
              Peikert Group Architects

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
                I'm with jh & William on this. It think this is a very useful, and, yes exciting improvement.
                It saves you much more than just one click.
                Yes, you could drag the Center point before, but only if it was on the screen. If you are Zoomed into your View, or if you needed to Rotate something like a large DWG, you needed to:
                1. Pick the object
                2. Zoom out
                3. Find the Rotation icon
                4. Zoom In to the icon (so you don't accidentally pick something else)
                5. Click on the icon
                6. Drag
                7. Zoom out
                8. Keep dragging
                9. Zoom in to the point you want to place the icon
                10. Click to place the icon

With this new feature you:
                1. Pick the object
                2. Click the "Place Center button"
                3. Click to place the icon

Much simpler!
                Dave's use case was exactly the workflow that was thought of when this feature was re-vamped for 2012.
                Jeff Hanson
                Sr. Subject Matter Expert
                Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

Originally posted by willsud View Post
                  I didn't realise that this was new - I thought that I just hadn't spotted it before

It is incredibly useful and a really thoughtful addition - much easier than dragging the centre, and when rotating say, a large dwg import you do not want to be searching for the rotation centre to be able to drag it.

Exactly! When I first started with the program, it took me a long time to realize that the center point was sometimes off-screen, and then it was hard to manipulate as well.

This is the kind of small 'missing functionality' that makes the program easier to use or learn.
                  Last edited by B Arch; July 1, 2011, 06:43 PM.

Comment

If there was an award for "Best Refinement of an Existing Tool" I think this would win for 2012. Rotate is used so often this will likely save hundreds of thousands of user hours every year, 5 frustrating seconds at a time. :thumbsup:

Gordon
                    Pragmatic Praxis

Comment