Monolithic stair not behaving.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monolithic stair not behaving.

I have been tasked with redesigning my bosses new house. The house itself is really rather large and he intends to make it larger still by reusing spaces and a small amount of extension. The main feature of the entrance hall is currently a timber staircase with 6 goings a half landing then 6 more goings going left and right from the landing (the proper name eludes me at the moment.) My boss wants to replace it and the upstairs landing with marble clad concrete, to make matters worse in our last meeting I was told the concrete nosings and risers are to be curved!

In the attached 2015 rvt file I have drawn the previous idea of nice straight risers and treads with a curved waist on the left and on the right my new attempt with rounded nosings and risers. In 2d it works however in 3d I only have the marble cladding shown on the round risers, is this a known issue or have I missed something obvious. I have redrawn the one on the right as a stair by sketch, rather than editing the existing one. I think I have completely undone the worksharing and detached it from central, apologies if I haven't. Also I can't get the file below 8mb even though I think I've wiped all but the two stairs and purged unused any tips greatly appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...TA&usp=sharing

I took a look at it and I had the same problem. However if I changed the underside of winder to stepped the monolithic stair shows up on the lower portion but is stepped. I do not know how to get it where you want it but this is something that is built into the monolithic stair family
    Denis Pohlman, AIA, NCARB, WELL AP, CPHC
    Architect + BIM Coordinator
    Kahler Slater, Inc.

Comment

After looking at it again, the issue is coming with the inside corner of the landing. That arc is causing the issues. if you can resolve that I think you may be ok
      Kahler Slater, Inc.

Comment

Thanks for taking a look. Is this how you'd model a stair of this type or would you try it a different way?

I have since had another go where I have modelled 3 plain concrete stairs forming the flights and a floor to form the landing. I have then added a stair with only treads and riser to act as the cladding, which has actually allowed me to show the marble overhanging the waist more effectively. It looks quite good in 3d aside from I've had to do separate railings so the landing and flights don't join so well.

I was going to upload it on Monday for more comments but am really suffering from that Friday feeling now!

Comment

I have never actually modeled stairs like this before so it was a first go for me, but as i flexed different parameters built into the family I noticed these things. Sometimes you need to do the workaround to get things to work. If you create the top layer stair as a continuous piece in halves like you did before the railings should join. I would be happy to take a look at it when you upload it
          Kahler Slater, Inc.

Comment